Wednesday, July 20, 2016

MOON LANDING JULY 20, 1969

It has ben 47 years since we landed on the moon. The incredible accomplishment was called by announcer Roy Neal "the dream of the ages." We had no idea of what was in store as the thundering Saturn V rockets soared off into oblivion. In 1998 I had a condo hard on the banks of the Indian River, Kennedy Space Center, Florida.

I had hoped to find employment in some teaching capacity with kids. I applied for a position  in Space Camp but did not get it. What I did get was a visit by my U.S. History professor, William B. Faherty.it was a marvelous visit and inspiration.

President Kennedy exhorted the Rice University crowd in 1961 saying 'We Choose To Go To The Moon in This decade...not because it will be easy...'

German born rocket Scientist Werner Von Braun was usurped from Hitler's Germany after the War bolstering our might in achieving JFK's goal of Moon Landing. You can watch all of this drama on YouTube today.

In October 0f 1998 I was at The Cape witnessing John Glenn's return to space. Kizzle got me credentialed with the AP for 9 days.
 
 
Today our lives are surreal with technologies fit for Buck Rogers. I think this day should be a National Holiday!
 
These are the last names of  America's Moon Walkers: ARMSTRONG..ALDRIN..CONRAD..BEAN..SHEPARD..MITCHELL..YOUNG,,IRWIN..DUKE..CERNAN AND SCHMITT. NO ONE DID IT MORE THAN ONCE!
 
Saturn V



 
Space Capsule

No comments:

Post a Comment