Sunday, March 6, 2016

WHY NOT JOIN THE ARMY?!

The greatest thing that ever happened to me is that I got drafted into the U.S. Army. It will be 50 years in a couple of months. I served my Country, expanded my purview on the world and had some fun. One year, nine months and two days is what it took in my somewhat shiftless life to that of standing tall. I hated the Army; I loved the Army.






Discipline in a young person's life is tantamount to growing up. Drill Instructors such as Marine Jeff Nickerson know the drill. Today, with incredible electronic, military-types can  respond to our Country's call with verve. Parents will have pride in seeing their babies respond to life. Vietnam's misery is far beyond us all. Warm memories of friendships embrace our souls.






Have no fear! Military testing, the GT if you may, will "niche-fit" your children. I know this as my GT Score (131) defined my inherent talents. I was out of college as a bachelor with a bachelors degree. I still had baby fat as I neared age 24 and the drill of beloved Fort Knox in the springtime. I hear the drill sergeants marching his troops in unison..."1-2-3-4 count cadence count!" Fifty years later I get goosebumps!






Then, at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, my fatigues of olive drab changed to my wearing whites. I was to be trained to be an X-Ray technician. There were 84 men and women in my class. How lucky could a guy be? from August to November we were instructed in the ways of anatomy and physiology, drinking beer and playing with girls. Johnson and Johnson City beckoned my historical enthusiasm. The heat of Texas sucked until a beautiful Fall rang my chimes. More friends were made. I even visited cousin Pall Potvin at Lackland  Air Force Base.






Then we graduated from MFSS.. Medical Field Service School. I achieved an 84 average academically and in the high 90s in beer drinking. Adventure and dentistry took some of my time from Boquillas, Mexico, and the Rio Grande to hours in the dental chair of Captain James D. Rawlins. I was ship-shape for New Jersey.






Fort Dix was close enough to being home and my late buddy, Jack Swedis. And then there was Vietnam!


Not to fear. I had been in training some 9 months and my adventure unraveled it self and all alond the way I was One Lucky Soldier!  I truly saw the world.




































No comments:

Post a Comment