Tuesday, March 22, 2016

QUIT SMOKING - COLD TURKEY

The smartest and best move in my life came nearly a half century ago. As a soldier in Vietnam I knew no differently. I was a "two-pack-a-day soldier" and proud of it. Morning, noon and night I nursed a weed from beginning to end. When drinking I sometimes placed the wrong end of the cigarette in my mouth. I was disgusted and disgusting with the whole ordeal.






My Zippo lighter had high mileage on it. So did my 25 year-old lungs. Even though I was an Army Medic I knew no differently. Most of my friends smoked. The only person in my whole life that never smoked was my loving mother who lived to be 91+. My father was "hooked" and lived to the age of 70.






Something happened to me in the Fall of 1968. I dated a girl who never smoked. This would be my inspiration to quit. Something down and deep within my spirit told smoking was a horrible addiction. My mind was being made up for better or worse to kick the habit! I really didn't know what I was in for! My 55 cents X 2 was gone with the wind.  I began to heal








Mind you, this was only 4 years after the Surgeon General' Warning. I took things to heart. I became a brand new me...tobacco free. From 160 lbs I filled out to 172. Suddenly my food began to taste better. My pride blossomed. I truly had kicked the habit!  From two packs a day my wallet began to fill up with cash. No longer was I slave to it all.






The vast implications to ill health demand folks to give quitting one more try. It is never too late...never. Emphysema, chronic bronchitis, collapsed lungs, are the clarion to "get a message to Mary." The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services..Centers for Disease can help. 1-800-QUIT-NOW can help.




If only I can help one smoker quit it'd make my day. Lung cancer kills too many people and the GD tobacco companies are truly at fault. Do your family a big favor like I did.   Q-U-I-T   C-O-L-D   T-U-R-K-E-Y!


P.S. ..Johnny Carson's Estate is worth $300 Million...... He lived to be age 79 He attributes his demise to "cigarettes."















No comments:

Post a Comment