Saturday, March 12, 2016

WHAT IT WAS LIKE ON BEING TOP DOG IN VIETNAM

I was Soldier of the Month in competition in June of 1967. I lost but I won the favor of Sergeant Major Claude Russell, top dog of enlisted men at the 36th Evacuation Hospital,Vung Tau. I overrode the crotchety laments of Lifer Robert Butterworth. "I am sending you up for Soldier of the Month against my better judgement, Potvin."  I retorted "don't do me any favors!" He sent me up...I showcased my skills and won another attempt.








I was now groomed by the sergeant major with new clothes, a ball cap, and some tips on military bearing, military history. I was approaching age 25.. old for my age as a draftee. The good sergeant major believed in me. Competition at Long Binh was keen and I won $25 twice.






I was given rank, SP/5 E-5, recognition of my achievement in front of all of the doctors and nurses at the 36th Evac. Hospital. I truly had my ticket to ride to Australia for my R&R. Sergeants became my friends. Army life was good... all except for the food.  Drinking reconstituted milk made me gag.


Day in day out, it was morning formation and picking up cigabutts and being chewed out by Butterworth. But that changed


. Enter E-7
Norman P. Alexander, my medic friend. Life changed for the better. Yes, my life in Vietnam changed for the better as it became routine Serving as mail clerk of my unit, too, was fun.




And then the monsoons of Vietnam abated and sunshine lasted for months. My R & R to Australia came and went as did the holidays of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. I was "Short.".. 30 days of less... I had earned the respect of my peers and learned a lot about my life. My freedom had been earned, my position with Aetna Casualty & Surety was in tact and a couple of Grand was saved. Vietnam wasn't so bad for me. I was one luck ysoldier, indeed..










Add caption











No comments:

Post a Comment