Thursday, March 3, 2016

SPRINGFIELD MUSEUMS

As a disciple of Springfield-made Rolls Royce Motorcars and the attendant philosophies of being the best ,I delight in what I'm finding at SPRINGFIELD MUSEUMS. About 35 miles to the west, my old motorcar brings me to my automotive Mecca. My father taught me the importance of visiting automobile museums since 1948 when we began visiting the Princeton Automobile Museum. I have been imbued since the get go!


In Sturbridge I frequented Harold Keneway's automobile museum and his beloved Pierce-Arrows. Rolls Royce and PA were amongst the best in cars of the 1920s and 1930s. In 1961 I began having a love affair with Springfield cars. On a cold December day I traveled with Mr. Cooke to Sam Adelman's classic junkyard in West Chester County, NY. I quickly became spellbound with the classics. Here was an original Rolls Royce ready for restoration. I was 19.


Combining my dad's mechanical genius with my love of American history, the wedding was held in June, 1962. Frank Cooke hired me for the summer as an optical worker and a grease monkey. It worked. I was learning every aspect of these automobiles from the Bijur lubricating system to the meaning of a dual cowl phaeton. I learned Rolls Royce hired bodybuilders to custom aluminum bodies to chassis fashioned by New York body makers.


Now, decades later I have been romancing the good folks at Springfield Museums. It is truly a win-win situation. The automobile collections including Duryeas, RR, Pierce Arrows and others are manifest in their restored glories. The incredible story of Allen Swift is a story in itself. This gentleman owned a Springfield Rolls-Royce for 77 years, longer than any other owner in the company's history... with something like 170,000 miles.


Mr. Swift died at age 102.His Rolls-Royce is on display along with another donated by Presley Blake of Friendly Ice Cream fame. Mr. Blake admits owning more than two dozen Rolls-Royce. I know he was a customer at Frank Cooke's Vintage Garage in North Brookfield. Today, Billings Cook carries on the traditions of his dad up in the Green Mountains of Vermont.


To absorb the Springfield Museums will take a certain discipline on my part. Hopefully I can entice son Josh and Grandson Chase to see the Rolls-Royce.


The Spirit of Ecstacy or simply The Flying Lady is symbolic of all Rolls. Today you may pay $400,000 for a spiffy new Rolls Royce or you can come to Springfield where I guaranty you it will be priceless. Dr. Seuss was born down the street in 1904.Saturday the museum celebrates his birthday..another reason to optimistically enjoy the final days of winter. Don't forget to 'Spring Ahead!





No comments:

Post a Comment