Tuesday, March 29, 2016

EAT WELL, EXERCISE, DON'T SMOKE!

Healthy habits according to the New York Times don't come easy. I guess we all are overweight, indulge in sweet, like a drink of alcohol and do more detrimental things to add to our woes as we age in a less than perfect manner.

Junk food just wasn't around 50 - 60 years ago. Canned goods were both in fruits and vegetables. But one crowning problem was people smoked more. People also worked much more harder, ate more animal fat and had strokes. Despite our sloppy living styles we live longer.

Since the first of the year I have watched my sugar consumption. No more candy bars, in particular. I still enjoy ice cream as I rationalize it is nutritional. But food consumption must be a discipline of fruits and vegetables and of course, moderation.

Some say it's a "wake-up call" to be cognizant of how we err in doing the right thing. Medicine today can dissect the wings of a mosquito with incredible accuracy. My hematologist orders hundreds of blood tests instantaneously.  But we still live a slovenly existence.

Finally, the kicker of kickers is tobacco. Either you smoke cigarettes or a pipe and add nails to your coffin. Having resigned to no more smoking on October 7, 1968, I never hear of people quitting today. The tobacco industry should hold their heads in shame. There are no resolves to ending smoking. Boy, am I glad I quit at age 26. Now if I can shed 10 pounds I'll be in good shape for the shape I'm in!



No comments:

Post a Comment