Sunday, March 4, 2018

WITH WINTER STILL HERE..MY POSTAGE STAMP ALBUM HAS COME TO THE FORE!

Since 1954 stamp collecting has given me a winter hobby I just love. My specialty has always been United States postage and First Day of Issue cancellations on envelopes. I delight in the successes I have had in sharing my creations with the Rich and Famous. From Clinton to Bush, HW, to Jackie O. I seem to know how to get responses.


Jackie O. is my favorite creation of a Covers postmarked in the 4 Brookfield's post offices. In sending then to Martha's Vineyard I received an immediate response from Social Secretary, Nancy Tuckerman. "Mrs. Onassis was thrilled to receive your thoughtful gesture. It was a 30th anniversary of her husband's untimely death by bullets.


George H W Bush too was thrilled to receive the Hold Cross College O'KANE HALL postcard and my attendant query. " Do you recall playing baseball at Fitton Field, Mr. President?'. "Indeed I do" was his response as Yale''s Captain.." and I enjoyed every moment of it!"


But that was then. Today, stamp collecting is an "Old Man's Hobby" according to Lincoln Stamp & Coin, Chandler Street, Worcester. With this news at hand I noticed on my last visit an overflow of estate stamp albums and collections at "give-away" prices. Parents of school-age kids can latch onto a falling star for the asking. FOREVER postage and the computer seems to contributed to the hobby's dying moments.


American History comes alive in stamp collecting. Today, I found another copy of a great pictorial at the Quaboag Book Shop in town."Stamping Our Past" is a book I gave to WBES 2 decades ago when I taught freelance.Kids remember it today!


We learn hobbies as kids and can take them onto old age like me. Then again it is absolutely never too late to join in the fun. Stamp Clubs still exist as does the Cardinal Spellman Philatelic Museum in Weston.


Looking for some free-time diversion? Why not visit this renown museum so close by? You know. Life can be interesting to interesting people!


FDR was the only President to collect stamps.


ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
PHILATELIST/ NUMISMATIST
Box 11West Brookfield, MA 01585


508-867-3360

The only stamp bearing an image of a man I once drank with In Chicago!


The King


One of my favorites




Another favorite

National Parks Issue 1938




"Inverted Jenny"



I Love Lucy!



NB 1903



No comments:

Post a Comment