Saturday, March 24, 2018

VIETNAM SPIRIT

THE WAR THAT KILLED THE AMERICAN SPIRIT: VIETNAM!
 
Chapter One







 
In May of 1965 my college loan with the Worcester County Trust for $500.00 was paid off! Getting my father to sign was next to impossible! With a spiffy new  blue 4 door Bel Air  Chevrolet (D. L. Peterson Trust) from AETNA I became mobilized.
 
I bought an FM Radio from Linder's Junk Yard for $50.00 and tuned in to a variety of stations. Talk Radio was in it's infancy.
 
One Sunday, either in my car or in my bedroom where a brand new Zenith grey plastic came a very interesting message about Vietnam. Some Boston radio station hosted a high ranking "Lifer".. maybe the head of the Massachusetts Selective Service?
 
The show caught my ear for listening and even talking as I called in.. was on the air.. and asked "what should I do?" Succinctly, the Colonel responded I should run down to my draft board.
 
In the meantime, in my enthusiasm I told my parents. Dad went ballistic! I did not go. Instead I was a Claim Rep Trainee in Worcester Claims of Aetna.
 
For 6 months I learned the ropes, first in working the small claims desk with Eddie Marlowe and Kay Broderick. I was a fish out of water and lovin it.
 
I fielded phone calls with the two. It was real fun.
Adjuster Bob Cain said to me after being there in my Basic Corporate  Camp training for only two weeks.."Boy, you sound like a real pro, Bob, and that I was.
 
Vietnam went from the Ballard  of the Green Berets to Agent Orange. WOW.
 
I worked with Aetna Worcester 6th floor, Slater Building, Downtown Worcester. My first "outside assignment" came in obtaining a signed statement from an insured of Aetna.
 
Gradually I climbed Aetna's ladder one rung at a time.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment