Sunday, March 18, 2018

PROHIBITION ANDS ITS REPEAL IN 1933 OR ALCOHOL AS A DEPRESSANT!

 Singer Barbara Streisand's song 'HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN" are the tell-all of FDR'S Campaign Song of 1932!


According to Wikipedia, The Eighteenth Amendment was enacted because of alcoholism, Family Violence and other SOCIETAL CONCERNS.


In my lifetime I HAVE TALKED TO TWO SURVIVORS who were kids in 1920! Eddie Morrison  former owner of Morrisons Café in North Brookfield and Aunt Olive Potvin who grew up in Oxford, Mass.
Aunt Olive lived in Northboro, MA for decades. I used to visit Olive from time to time. One day we spoke about Prohibition.


Aunt Olive, in her widow-hood gave me tremendous insights about when she was a girl. When Federal Agents visited her dad's Speak Easy in Oxford, Mass, her father insisted she sit on top of a whiskey barrel! A little girl Olive was. Her severe black hair and stentorian voice is in my heart today. She was an enterprising lady selling wreath's at Christmas-time from her Route 20 perch down the road from Fiske's Greenhouse in Northboro!


Next,  I talked to old Eddie Morrison who ran Morrsion's café, N. Brookfield for decades. From my  birth at 3:30 AM in  Mary Lane Hospital, Ware, Mass my birth in July, 1942 wonderful..Casy Casemi s qudoted ind my Long Distant Dedication in 2008 said"....( to be filled in later!)


Dad called it "Barroom Junction) as we were only feet from Hart's Café on Forrest Street.  Fortunately my baby years in cloth diapers was short lived as we moved to South Main Street NB in late March 1945 right before FDR died.


The bottom line to gaining insight was:


"PROHIBITION WAS A BIG JOKE!" The War years brought the worst in the "home front!" Noisy motorcycles blared down Forrest Street...East and West. Alcohol consumption flowed across the USA like the Five Mile river!

 To be continued after I speak to "Johnny O." on the subject.


The tyrant, Rev. James McCullicuddy of St. Joseph's was BAD NEWS!


ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
Reformer
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585


508-867-3360 Anytime



No comments:

Post a Comment