Tuesday, March 13, 2018

MY WARM MEMORIES OF THE 1960 PRESIDEENTIAL ELECTION USA

My first inkling of what the presidential race was going to be like on came in 1959 when I, as a 16 year old teenager, asking my mother RITA IDA POULIN POTVIN 'Who are the Kennedys?" It was then and there my quest for "Kennedy knowledge" began!


Yesterday I obtained  the DVD "JFK A NEW WORLD ORDER.. A commemorative Documentary Series. This 3 hour film is amazing as was JFK's life's story.


First published in 2013 by Cine-O-Matic, Inc. for exclusive distribution by Mill Creek Distribution it is superb in every regard!.


  • EARLY YEARS
  • FOR ALL TO SEE
  • NEW FRONTIERS
  • DOOMSDAY AVERTED
  • A WALL OF WORDS
  • WAR WITHIN & WITHOUT CAMELOT AND BEYOND
My story begins in getting haircuts from John Ingemi's Barber Shop, North Brookfield, MA. It seemed every time I went for a trim, Francis T. (Red") Lee was there too getting a clip. Red was the Chairman of the North Brookfield Democratic Party. My mother advised me that "Lee and Phil Quinn attended the July Convention in 1960 in LA.


By fall the enthusiasms of the Nixon/Kennedy began capturing the world's attention because of television and print materials. I, as a Worcester Junior College freshman had to write a Theme on the race. Robert C. Gould was a classy prof. He lived in North Brookfield at Waite Corner in radio man JOHN WOOD's home.


My hand-written paper received a "B" grade.  endorsing JFK's election. The day before the election I traveled with Mike Coughlin to the Tom O'Connor Headquarters. I obtained a Kennedy For President Cardboard poster bearing Kennedy's picture image. And I nailed it to a pine tree next to our South Main Street home on Route 67.


BAM. The next thing I knew, my dad yanked it off of the tree!


On Election Day I was once curious dude. I went to the Polls and was recruited by Red to "Take the JF Lyons  Cadillac Limousine and pick up the Sisters of St. Joseph. They were exceedingly enthused about casting their "Irish Catholic" votes for JFK!


Election Night was something else. Joe, Rita, Bob and my Golden Retriever DUSTY enjoyed the event until 3:45 AM. Television had come of age.


Kennedy was elected  by less than one percent of the total vote cast! The amazing Kennedy was amazing. He won. So did America and the free world.


 The entire race and election is documented and Documentary in this one video.. Get it and check it out.


RLP
March 13, 2018
"Old Brookfield"









No comments:

Post a Comment