Wednesday, March 14, 2018

WHY I'M RUNNING FOR THE UNITED STATES SENATE 2018

My hat is in the ring! I run because I feel we can do a better job serving the constituents of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Our world is in flux. The computer generation has come of age.Smartphones reveal what JFK's vision was when he spoke at Rice University in 1961:  "We choose to go to the moon.."


Technologies today are mind boggling Voice activation equipment allows us to be heard in every corner of the globe. When we call a number we may be speaking to somebody in the Philippines,  Mexico, or wherever. Our world is lightening fast, accurate, and very impersonal. While newspapers  an televisions still deliver, Social Media allows anybody in the world to communicate.


From Promontory, Utah, and the driving of the spike, the telegraph revealed began sending us on the way. One hundred forty four years later.. Wow! But not every American is enjoying life. Poverty and homelessness still exists throughout Massachusetts. The digital divide is formidable.


Every waking hour sees us bombarded with frivolous temptations. Politicians cavil over everything.. so it seems. Leadership seems to be in denial in some cases .Many our visions are blurred as the Hubble Telescope was initially. Our vision needs to be corrected. Where are we headed?


In 1998, while living in Laramie, Wyoming, I had the honor of sitting with VP Dick Cheney at a Veterans Day breakfast. VP Cheney imparted a truism worth repeating: " The world is a bad place out there." Mr. Cheney further gave me some ideas on how to run for political office! I heeded his advice.


My unsuccessful bid for Congress in the 1st District in 2000 taught me much. I was a rookie in the game of professionals. I learned how honest and attentive citizens were  in my pursuit. I obtained 2,014 certified signatures and got my name  on the ballot. I received over 5,000 votes in the District. But that was then.


Since 2000 our lives have changed exponentially. The only thing constant seems to be the sale of scratch tickets and tobacco. It is obvious folks want to live the way they choose. That's good as it spells freedom.


Our wonderful Commonwealth is very uncommon in so many ways. From the tip of the Cape in Provincetown to Cape Ann and westward to the Berkshires and Mount Greylock , "The eyes of all people are on us." The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is no slouch. We are blessed. Expediant Interstates allow us to  travel anywhere at any time. We truly are "The Spirit of America!"


Our roots run deep in the sands of time. Yes, we have had the Boston  Massacre and other lugubrious events even here in the Brookfields. Media coverages today are mobile with satellite trucks and mobile news reporters. This is truly a sign of our times and  voila, news streams into smart televisions instantaneously.  We as a Nation are truly free. Our Four Freedoms define our Democracy!


Today, our citizenry needs leadership. People who know the score. I feel my 75 years, education, travel and sensitivity to it all qualifies and makes me worthy of your anticipated votes in November. My only promise is everyone gets treated equally when problems arise and help is required.


Being a public servant means I must listen and steer you and yours in the right directions in our "grinding bureaucracy" I tell people "I know how to get to the printer!" I welcome challenges as I'm a solution-oriented  citizen always seeking the truth. I detest deceit.


In particular, having served my Country in tumultuous times of the Sixties and learning about life with service in the American Vietnam War as a Medic I have empathy towards those men and women who weren't so lucky.
My mission is to assist all veterans in any way I can. I will out-maneuver all other candidates by virtue of my purview. I also understand casualty insurance as I worked for Aetna for a decade in Claims.


U.S. History and Geography are my loves.. and I love being in the thick of things. Noted columnist David Broder said in Laramie: "we like a good fight."  Well, his words will come true. Not only is my hat in the ring my boxing gloves will be on.


I am a Local Boy. My 4 grandchildren represent the 7th generation of Potvins/Wines/Poulins in the Brookfields. From illiteracy in 1870 when Paul and Mary Wine bought their first house in 1870 to the here and now in 2018, we Potvins move forward in a great tradition as French-Canadian Americans.


By voting in November the choice will be yours... by not voting the choice will be theirs. I like to think I am my own man and am beholden to nobody!


I require 10,000 Signatures to get on the ballot! Can you help?


Massachusetts, truly " The Spirit of America!"


Thanks!




ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN


Candidate for the U.S. Senate - Massachusetts 2018













No comments:

Post a Comment