Thursday, March 22, 2018

HOW TO GET A MUCH BETTER NIGHT'S SLEEP; THROW AWAY OUR CLOCKS!

I recently asked my "SHRINK"  Donna B. Greenberg, MD, at Mass General Hospital:"What did folks do before all the magic medicines were here  for sleep?" THEY DRANK! was Dr. Greenberg's response!!

Coming from a "slightly neurotic" father,  Joseph E., his son ,me, BOBBY P.  today,  I am  learning "how not to sleep". Pop was a great father until the day he died in 1983. Dad's numbers are incredible! He was born on the 18th of July, 1913, down in Wine Village  North Brookfield, MA. He married Rita Ida on at St. Joseph Church on . April 18, 1936 and died on September 18, 1983!

Dad, a"  Pure bred frog"  Like me, Dad showed me what pure brutal strength was like. Slender in stature, mighty like the Village Blacksmith with strong and sinewy arms. First as a shoe bedlaster. He cried easy and revealed his behavioral characteristics... humble carpenter who built 25 homes in the Brookfields for 20 years... a good and descent man!

The anxieties of life have always been and always will be that of stress, happiness, depression and elation. Each of us are unique. The Twentieth Century saw us go from the horse & buggy to surreal moments in driverless automobiles with electricity  and solar .

In many ways, our worlds are "UPSIDE DOWN".. as opposed to "DOWN UNDER!"

The digital divide further separates the HAVES from the HAVE-NOTS. No wonder people can't sleep. Amazing three times over.


Lord Byron has a great quote on sleep: "Death, so called is a thing that makes man weep yet a third of life is passed in sleep.!"

Personally I have endured a sleep disorder since I was I cloth diapers .. sleeping in  my crib in Little Canada. Five bottles a night according to Rita-Mother! 'What will the neighbors say!" LOL.

As I'm never really drank until age 17 with cousin Tom Severance while painting windows in the attic of Charlie Thompson in New Braintree, I learned what booze can give you:"false courage" as mother Rita aptly described it.

Growing up with an "infested" mother and/or farther usually spells disaster. Officers of the law have a terrible time "insuring Domestic Tranquility!"  Nobody wins.. everyone loses especially the children. Does all this affect SLEEP? You be the judge!

Dad preached "Moderation" I espouse abstinence. having QUIT ALL ALCOHOL IN 1985, like tobacco (2 packs of Winston a day) I feel I have conquered some of my passions. It ain't easy necessarily and I have never returned to my Tanqueray Martins and BUD.

As most alcohol is a depressant.. evey Dr. Dey advised me to : Have a glass of wine. I am wine in name only..Pot-of-Wine!

Stanley W. Roteth of Webster was my inspiration to QUITl "I quit at age 42 and turned myself into a "Reformed Man." Alcohol and high-powered medicines spell....D_I_S_A_S_T_E_R. I became a man of O'DOUL'S Non Alcoholic... and frankly have satisfied my need for any alcohol. But it all has to come from within. I don't feel I was ever an alcoholic yet I do admit being "Three Sheets To The Wind" more than  once.

DUI seems to be commonplace. I even had to press a Breath-o-lizer test when I lived in the Samaritan House shelter in St. Albans VT in 2002! So now you know! My story even gained Front Page in the "Messenger" entitled "TO THE BRINK AND BACK!"

Finally, I will tell you about Amherst, Mass. and the experiences I had today talking with the homeless!

Truthfully yours,

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
Your "Man on the Run."
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA

508-867-3360 Anytime











 


No comments:

Post a Comment