Sunday, October 23, 2016

REMEMBERING MY FATHER, JOSEPH EMIL POTVIN 1913 - 1983

It was absolutely wonderful having "Papa Joe" as my dad. Born "On the Farm at Wine Village, North Brookfield, Dad was number 5 of 6. Lydia, Leo, Olida, Blanche, Joseph and Albert. He was an extremely talented human with an his mother, Sarah, said many times "I don't recall Joe growing up as a boy.


At age 14 at 11 South Main my father hand crafted a wooden car. He sat at the wheel alongside Uncle Al and Morris Cohen! A vintage sepia is somewhere in the maze of 2016.


Every Potvin child were exhorted by the 'Old Gent, Paul A. Potvin' "You quit school and go to work in the shoeshop! My father cried and behaved. He was only 14. Sarah made his clothing out of used decorative GRAIN BAGS.


Mother Rita related ' When you drove by the Potvin Home each child had a car! Six siblings.. six automobiles. Dad's car was a 1928 Chevrolet 6- Cylinder. His pride and joy was a Chevrolet Dual Cowl "Eagle". Once again, somewhere in the maze I have vintage photos. Maybe for my next book?


There was always love in our families. Dad's shoe career where he told of "Making Shoes for the Russians" AT H.H. Brown. Piecework was the salvation of the New England Shoemakers! I recall distinctly in 1946 when Mr. Barry, the shop foreman knew he lost my dad to the employ of A.L. POTVIN, BUILDER. Dad just laid into him saying' No more.. I know how H.H. Brown thinks!






DAD REFUSED BEING A PARTNER WORKED FOR A PAYCHEC, INSTREAD




Al and Joe's first undertaking was in restoring THE NORTH BROOKFIELD


 SCHOOLHOUSE where Roger and Anita Ducasse resided for 50 years! They removed the belfry so no more bats could perch! I know.. I know.. I know.. LOL.


The next move came in 1947/1948? when they plied their trade of carpentry and built their first house next to the School house. I recall seeing my grandfather Paul standing on the staging with approval on his face. The poor died the following January of a brain hemorrhage. He gave me a vice.. a tiny  painted red one in the hands of Chase Robert of Birch Hill. Paul was a very tough father according to Dad. saying he mellowed in his final years. Paul Worked, too, at H.H. Brown.


Grandfather taught my mom to always  "walk around your car looking for a flat tire."


Aunt Olive confided with me in her old age." When I was pregnant with Ronnie, Paul had compassion in something I said or did something special for me.
."


BUILDING AND RESTORING HOUSES IN THE BROOKFIELDS..1946-1966






  1. House -Mount Pleasant Ranch
  2. 2.B Sportsmen Club Building
  3. Ed Varnum's 2 houses
  4. Connelly Sisters Cape Oakham Road
  5. Donald Vorce Ranch Ward Street NB
  6. Minnie Varnum Cabin Ward Street
  7. Summit Terrace NB ( 1. Cummings Ranch, 2. Jim Warren's Cape 3.The Flattop Garrison 4.  Uncle Al's Executive Ranch 5. Littlefield's Ranch. 6. Paul Potvin's Ranch 5.Allen Whitcomb's Classic Gambrel On ther Broofield Road. 6. Cliff Gadaire's Rambling Cape  at the Brookfield/ North Brookield Town line.
  8. Maybe 25 houses built in all?
"Don't be a carpenter, Bob, it's too harder work".. so I went on to "Doing the impossible" in restoring antique houses.


My father was depressed in his old age. Admittedly somewhat neurotic and oseteoporis Dad had some amazing numbers:


1. he was born on July 18th,1936
2,  he was married on April 18th, 1936
lived at 18 South Main St
And died at age 70 on September 18th.


Joe Potvin was a good and descent father.In his "highs" le laughed, enjoyed a glass of  Gansett with Rita playing his Honner Harmonica and enjoying his Missouri Meerschaum.


RIP "Pappa Joe"..


With love,


BobbyP





Sincerely Yours,


ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
CHIEF BLOGGER- AT LARGE
West Brookfield, MA.


"On the Day of Victory No One is Tired!"




































OUR POLITICIANS...Sen. Steve Brewer  Sen. Anne Gobi

No comments:

Post a Comment