Thursday, October 27, 2016

LIVINGING IN AN AMERICA WITH FEW MORAL GUARDRAILS

Free spirits today can be found in every way.. from dyed headS of all colors of the rainbow.. from baby fat to lower belly fat. Some folks sport "rolls". A majority of Americans seem grossly  overweight. They have little self-discipline.




Yesterday I chatted with a friend who has grown a potbelly as big as my castiron potbelly! How much longer can his heart work?




The Millennials are so young and seem oblivious to our American way of life. When I was their age I went to John's Barber Shop for a haircut every 10 days for a clipping of my wool. I would meet my Democratic mentor "Red" Lee at the same time. Red was friends with JFK!


In 1960 life was good. Sure we had a Town Drunk or two meandered




over Main Street.Domestic problems were always there. Leo L. "Shammy" DeLude, Harbig Thomasian and other part-timers kept things in check. Hart's and Morrison's saw brawls, etc.




In 1945 us Potvins moved out of Barroom Junction on Forest Street to a "Yankee Neighborhood. The acculturation of Robert L. I was learning the ropes of being an American.  Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and a girlfriend  on a horseback, DIANA!
I mowed lawns by hand and shoveled snow as well as cow poop, raked and burned dead leaves in the fall. My life had definition.




I HONORED MY FATHER AND MOTHER!




North Brookfield High School was as good as any. I did not drink beer until age 18.Mr, Severance introduced me to Narragansett Beer at age 18 as we worked in Mrs. Thompson's attic in New Braintree painting wooden Window sash. Then, in 1961 a "near death" car accident with Roddy Wilbur at the wheel. A rear-ender saw us plow into John Treadwell's  automobile at Harrington St.EB and sent him 47 feet. Charlie Perron went through the window sustaining major facial lacerations. No seatbelts at the time.




I sat in the back..no seatbelt. The collision (80 mph) and inertia pulled my body and knees into the car's bench seat rail. I sustained two two inch gashes requiring Doc O'boye to suture them up, I was wearing Bermuda Shorts at the time. I think it was Trooper Eddie Branscombe who brought me to O'Boyles. He then dropped me off to my folks like 12:00PM.




My mother Rita immediately observed the white gauze and tape on my lower legs and shins. She broke down crying incessantly. "I'm okay, Ma."Then and there I vowed to "stay good." The whole accident proved to be a horror show. State Cops came to the door inviting me to the tiny East Broofield Courthouse. Both the cops and Wilbur wanted me to testify. I did and I perjured. I was fearful of the driver and his deceit I detected back in grade two. This guy Wilbur was BAD NEWS.




My wounds healed. I was awarded an insurance settlement for $600 because of Wilbur's Gross Negligence and I was learning what life is really about. Even back in 1961 we did not have moral guardrails. Today we have automobile safety personified.


Whatever our youth decide on..."mind your mother and father... don't drink and drive SDRIVE SAFELY!


Sincerely yours,


ROBERT L. POVIN


Chief Blogger-at-Large
West Brookfield, MA





No comments:

Post a Comment