Sunday, October 23, 2016

NORTH BROOKFIELD'S "TOOTIE" QUIGLEY AT AGE 96!

I have always liked old people! I was steeped in antiquity.. both furniture and human nature. Today, I had the honor of visiting Mrs. Robert T.Quigley at the Quaboag Nursing Home. West Brookfield. "Tootie" as she likes to be called remains young at heart. Born in 1920, Mrs. Quigley liked two things cars and sports! " My a first was a 1920 Essex! HAVING OWNED AND AMAZING 41 CARS IN HER LIFE I think Fullam Motor Company was her secret love. And sports.. amazing as was love for Bob Quigley.


R>T> Quigley was an institution of mostly men. They prospered in "Post War Prosperity" until SPAG"S came along.


The Quigley store was family to ME AND Dad. I loved it. I could count on my Saturday night routine: Running in to get dad's paycheck from Aunt Mary Potvin on Summer Street  uptown to Quigley Hardware. Thelma was always there standing besides her men. Quigley was unto himself. Grampa was in the back room seemingly handing out a NIP or two.! Years later a treasure of l"ittle dead soldiers" (empty nips) were discovered by my father in a repair job! While in the 7th Grade and Sister Winifred Anna, me and Jacvkie Benvenuti borrowed a belt sander and eradicated all of the graffiti carved atop the little desks with inkwells. Then we varnished the desk tops. I was 12. No e-mails back then!






Anxieties were always  assuaged with a taste of Four Roses Whiskey. Everyone who walked through the front door was given a "Quigley Welcome." But today Tootis reavesed the truth  "dealing with the public"! At home, Mrs. Quigley and husband Bob raised Judy Ducasse and son Brad and many, many grandkids and more.




Isn't it great to have such a friend and sage?! I feel Mrs. Quigley will live to be 120. She is one of the most amazing ladies I have ever known. Sage is Yankee-American  a true WASP..with asmile that is unforgettable. Tootie continues to toot her automotive mind and is spot on. Yes, she is infirmed at Quaboag - On - The Common in a wheelchair and is Sharp, very sharp. Why not visit Tootie or send her a   Thanksgiving Card!


Very truly yours,


North Brookfield Center 1903


St. Joseph Catholic Church


Bell Street


Box Car Unloading  -Train Depot School Street




Union Congregational Church & Haston Library..



NORTH BROOKFIELD  1903 Photos


COURTESY OF THE AMERICAN ANTIQUARIAN SOCIETY
WORCESTER, MASS.






ROBERT L. POTVIN
CHIEF BLOGGER - AT- LARGE
West Brookfield, Mass.









No comments:

Post a Comment