Wednesday, October 26, 2016

CHEYENNE, LARAMIE AND BREAKFAST WITH VP DICK CHENEY!

If you say 'I Love Vermont' I expound with the message 'I' LOVE WYOMING!'But way back in 1963, a week after Kennedy was killed, John Wickersham and I drove to Colorado  by way of HAyes, Kansas and "played Cowboy in the Rocky Mountains at Jones Park outside of Colorado Springs WHERE JOHN'S GRANDMOTHER LIVED. That's  another story.




My curiosities began in 1957 with the issuance of Devil's Tower postage stamp. Next JFK did a "Conservation Tour of WYO, maybe about 1962 or 1963? Bob Potvin, in the early days of my divorce in 1998, saw me saddle up my horse  and head for the hills" Wyoming!. THE LEAST POLULOUS STATE IN THE   USA... UNDER 600,000 RESIDENTS. Wyoming is the "Equality State.' You can check pout Wyoming- Wikipedia for details. Something like 15 inches of precipitation a year. Winters can be brutal!


Wyoming is for cowboys and cowgirls LOL! Fly into Denver. The State line is very close by. Cheyenne, Wyoming's state capital is Mecca! I visited Cheyenne twice  before droviving my S-10 for Labor Day in Wyoming. I slept in my truck at the Lincoln Moument for 2 nights then headed for Laramie!~




 WOW. I even attended the University of Wyoming taking a truncated course in Meteorology. The  "Nutty Professor"  said ' You probably know more than me.' He was right. My adaption to Wyoming was instantaneous! I wholesaled my truck until my ship came in.,worked at the Washakee Food Service at the university where 1,200 students and faculty are fed 3  meals a day.. Ed Leonard, Mg.r the absolute best  'Work for me and I'll give you 3 meals a day!~"I Dreamed I Was A Cowboy" and I was. I wasn't afraid to work for $6.00 an hour.I also worked as an Usher in the Fall at "COWBOY FOOTBALL  at 7,200' feet above seal level.. Son -Josh flew out from Boston for a visit with Dad.I saw Peter, Paul & Mary perform as well as Tony Orlando, The Beach Boys, Reba and the Late Chris LeDoux ( no relation.)


My ship came in with the sale of  a house in North Brookfield. This funded my Wyoming stay and touring. I found it impossible to get to the route of Wyoming while traveling the Routes. Where do I begin?..a trip to DEVILS TOWER. As Dick Vitale would say "Awesome Baby."






A Yellow Cheyenne  truck bought at auction In Cheyenne.. "Like a Rock!"


After buying a pair of Blizak snow tires and filling tubes of sand for truck bed I was on my way. Cody, Buffalo, Jackson Hole. .unbelievable. How about witnessing a train pulling 110 cars filled with coal?! And UNION PACIFIC RAILROAD..AMAZING.


WINTER WEATHER..WOW...RECORD OF -66 DEGREES in 1933.


THE GRAND TETONS (MOUNTAINS) AND Yellowstone Nation Park (  Sorry, "Closed For The Winter!". Damn.


JACKSON HOLE ....big time wealth.. Dick Cheney lives there...originally from  Casper.


VETERAN'S DAY  BREAKFAST  1999.


A couple days before the event ,a druggist in Laramie imparted to me 'You go out of your way to speak to this man Cheney.' I did. I was exiting the Men's Room when I spotted the Vice-President talking to a Wyoming politician. I told him I learned a word from him "pejorative... HAVING NEGATIVE CONNOTATIONS."


But that wasn't the end of my"Cheney Thing." I took off my Resistol black Western hat and casually placed it on this particular table.. Cheney was sitting there with the Professor Pete  Simpson AND THE SECRETARY OT THE UNITED STATES ARMY..OMG. I didn't know this! I was seated with the"Wigs."


Cheney spoke. He is articulate, impeccably dressed in blue blazer, grey flannel trousers and black tassel loafers..."my kind of outfit."


As 'Bush Senior's Secretary of Defense during Desert Storm.. Mr. Cheney retorted in his speech emphatically:


 'My biggest fear is Uncle Sam will not learn from past mistakes.' Cheney was right..(9/11.)


He autographed programs bearing his likeness. I sent mine to Kian, Australia, to my recent fallen hero ROD BRYAR!




I broached the issue of my Running For Congress! Cheney hit it straight on: "I ran for Congress when nobody else was running. I learned my lesson in 2000. The Florida chad crap leaves a rotten taste in my mouth, personally!




My attempt to buy a bungalow for  $ 70,000 FAILED. Realtor Anne Vichey tried. My $5,000 Good Faith Deposit was returned with the help of Attorney Frank Morgan of Laramie Always have your favorite lawyer in your vest pocket in times of need.




It was easy: I sold off everything that wouldn't fit in my Cheyenne Chevrolet and I headed East to Saint Louis and a "cold-call" visit to the President of the university. I gave him a $50 Check and headed back home again. Only one problem..my heater core died in Pennsylvania. No problem: I found an honest repairman.


I got to West Brookfield, Mass. the Copper Lantern Motel for the rest of the Winter.


TODAY, I DISCOVERED A COWBOY AND COWGIRL SHOP IN SPENCER, MASS...  More later. This store is absolutely amazing.. and for me to discover it I spotted "COWBOY HATS" sign in the window next to POULIN GRAIN! Go ahead, Mrs .Palin..Make My Day ! :-)


































































No comments:

Post a Comment