Tuesday, May 22, 2018

SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY 1818-2018

SLU celebrates its 200th Anniversary this year. Yesterday, I received an invitation to attend a reception at Boston College on June 13th at 6:30 PM. It appears Father Larry Biondi will be the speaker.

Father Biondi was the controversial juggernaut president who took my college forward "in a great tradition: Jesuits. My time on the "Other side of the Mississippi " 1962-1965 saw Saint Louis come alive.. from  a visit from LBJ to the construction of a the Gateway Arch at riverside. The 1964 World Series, 1968 World Series and 1987 World Series proved to be part of my extra curricular activities!

The City of Saint Louis is rife with American History.. from the Dred Scott Decision during the Civil War to the plane "The Spirit of Saint Louis" flown by Col. Charles Lindbergh in 1927 from NYC to Paris. Such a dauntless pilot and inspiration to the Free World.

Living in Saint Louis as a college student was a real test for me in itself. With two bucks in my pocket I began climbing life's ladder. The college was good to me giving me employment in the college bookstore, mail room at Griesedieck Hall and other jobs. Working my way through school was a struggle. Mother sent me $5 a week! But through determination and perseverance I made the grade: A Bachellor of Science for this bachelor.

In my life I have kept in contact with select classmates: Bill Gross, Paul V Power and several professors. The array of degree requirements from courses in philosophy, religion, political science and geography and others catapulted me into my career of casualty insurance adjusting for a dozen years. It worked.

And now, Ben and Josh enjoy insurance careers, raising families and getting on with things.Saint Louis University gave me "the tools of the trade" in successful living. Yes I am a Billiken and proud of it!

Meet Me In Saint Louis, Louie! LOL.
THIS IS WHAT A BILLIKEN IS..GOOD LUCK MASCOT

ok lbj!



ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
CLASS OF 1965
Geography Major; Political Science Minor GPA 2.1
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585
SLU College Church
 
Wonderful Memory
Chuck Berry Hailed from SL
 



One Segment of Arch



 
Feb. 14, 1964  I was there!

No comments:

Post a Comment