Monday, May 28, 2018

MY LUCID MEMORIES OF 1968

Fifty years.. where did they go? Fifty years..I just don't know!" WOW.

My first 45 days in 1968 saw me in the final moments of being a soldier in Vietnam. Now, on February 14, I was "A Coming Home Soldier" as Bobby Vinton Sings. I had matured, did my Duty to my Country, my parents and myself. Now I was free.

I had witnessed the "War Machine" as an enterprise which all wars are. Having a sense of history I absorbed much. Coming home was a different story!

My weight had dropped to 150 lbs, I was deeply suntanned, and got on with things immediately. "Mother Aetna" welcomed me back.. gave me a caseload of casualty claims to settle as I settled down to civilian life. My swagger continued.

I did not have much baggage from the war other than my duffel bag. My new salary was at $7,700 and a black 1964 Chevy Nova company car was my wheel until a spiffy new blue Chevy Bel-Air came in for Memorial Day. I had the world by the tail!

As Spring came my way, Fenway Park saw me for some 20 contests. "Red" McCormick had contacts at Fenway.. Rico Picardi, the head hot dog salesman gave us preferred seats. Carl Yastrzemski, my favorite, was coming off of his Impossible Dream year, 1967.

Somebody at Aetna suggested I try Law School. I took the LSAT and did lousy. My application to the University of Maine was denied!

Being a Vietnam veteran wasn't a popular credential as I recall. "So what" was the cry of demonstrators and Draft Dodgers. Even the local VFW Post spurned my enthusiasms.

Vietnam boiled in Worcester with demonstrations.  I had a very passive attitude to it all.

My social calendar perked up with the young ladies. We had fun as all youth should. I remained living at home with Joe and Rita.. then I fell in love!

I had money saved and money earned and money to invest I gold and money to blow! The Derby Bar and Grill was my "watering hole" and I enjoyed the after hours drinking. Coach Arthur Pappas was my friend and obtained me tickets for the World Series in Saint Louis! My college friend, Joseph A. Bryk, PhD. welcomed me back to the Gateway City. I was home, again, in my home away from home."

All of America was ablaze in riots. The political campaign of 1968 was the antithesis  of LBJ's 1964 Landslide. 'Bobby' won then was killed.George Wallace was an asshole, HHH lost and "NIXON WAS THE WON." Never liked him.

1968.."Fifty Years...where's they go.. Fifty years I don't know!?"

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
AGE 26 at the time
BOX 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585












No comments:

Post a Comment