Monday, May 7, 2018

MY LATEST VIDEO DISCOVERY

3:10 AM..Monday, 53 degrees in West Brookfield..a starlit night in early May, 2018..my incredible auction discovery: THE MARION VARNEY Auction of July, 1986, a VHS gem!

After a full day at the Marathon and attendant picture hanging at home..I was exhausted! I knew it was too early to retire so I floated into my Audio-Video Room and grabbed an unmarked VHS tape not having any idea if it were blank.. or what?

Low and behold, this unmarked treasure proved to be several hours long and a documentation of Marion Varney's On-Site auction, Summer street, North Brookfield!!

Having sold her pristine Victorian mansion, an auction of antiquity was necessary. Marion was a marvelous teacher of mine with a marvelous sense of humor and a marvelous intellect! She proved to be my mentor both in Local history and the like. I responded as an "A Student' and now have discovered proof to my assertions.

1986 was a banner year for me in the auction business. I had earned my keep in preparing for this auction moment through OJT, Auction School in Kansas City, Certification at Indiana University and enjoyable hard work. It paid off nicely.

MARION AND "BABE" VARNEY never had the pleasure of raising a family. Their entire married lives were devoted to entrepreneurial interests in Real Estate and the Fine Arts. Both were extremely sophisticated minds. Their earthly possessions revealed this fact.

The July auction of 1986 was truly a Barn-burner! From the get-go it proved to be a masterpiece. Sad to say..Marion is quoted in saying 'I guess my antiques were worth more to me, Bob, than the buying public!" Not necessarily as I review my auction 32 years later!

Sumarily this event was five stars:*****. Son Ben was my camera man. Son Josh was hiking up the White Mountains with Timmy Nolan and his Boy Scouts! Ben even shot a Selfie" in the filming process! Auctioneer BOB GLASS, JR> assisted me in my vendue.

The beauty of this discovery-in-color will be a revelation for my five grandkids seeing what "POPS" was like three decades ago. It is truly a  Freeze-Frame!"

SOLD!

"
ROBERT LOUIS The Auctioneer"



No comments:

Post a Comment