Saturday, May 5, 2018

DENY LONG'S NEW BRAINTREE, MASS. 2018

Since the North Brookfield Junior-Senior High School opened in 1956, Brother Long and I have been esteemed friends! Maybe because it is the inherent desire in my spirit to be a farmer? Maybe not?! For 6 decades I have devoured the New Braintree Spirit in my pea-picking soul.

Along the same lines, Buddy Small and sister Martha were more reasons for me to travel over the "Border." New Braintree is so pure.

Agrarian interests have dominated the NB lands for centuries. Rolling bucolic pasturelands permeated and defined by stone walls reveal a charm that will never be found in a New England suburb. New Braintree is PURE.

In 1959, while working at LaBelle's Food Center in North Brookfield, I had the pleasure of delivering groceries to the New Braintree farm community. My delivery vehicle was s spiffy new 1959 Chevrolet grey station wagon. Peach baskets would be filled with "meat and potatoes". The innocence of being a delivery clerk was never forgotten by me.

But then, a tragedy happened at LaBelle's: "Duke" Ducasse died of a major heart attack on May 2, 1960 at age 39.My friends Roger and David were alone. Such a memory never to be forgotten.

As my life went along, New Braintree remained New Braintree:a tiny town some 75 miles from Boston.

Then the Pioneer Valley Academy sprouted wings. It was a landmark construction: A Seventh Day Adventist Private School with a national identity. But it was short lived. Then The Commonwealth of Massachusetts took title and transformed the empty  buildings and land into a training academy for Mass.State Police officers!

While the ubiquitous blue and grey new Ford cruisers are seen everywhere, New Braintree remains New Braintree... and boy do I love it! Today, as the green fields, and daffodils, planted by my good friend, June Glidden, scream with beauty, New Braintree's purity prevails. Yes, there's even evidence of my Potvin forebears with the name "WINE ROAD."

Sad to say, The Town ofNew Braintree refuses to accept progress. Solar Fields needed to harness the sun's rays have been dimmed by certain attitudes: "Not in my front yard." Be it as it may.. Deny Long and Buddy Small and others are now Old Men ...yet our spirits are truly in tact!.

"A FAITHFUL FRIEND IS A STURDY SHELTER...." Deny Long!

Very truly yours,

ROBERT LOUIS POULIN POTVIN
'Class of 1960 ' N>B>H>S>
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585
















No comments:

Post a Comment