Wednesday, May 9, 2018

MY QUAGMIRE OF DELIGHT:THE "RED" LEE COLLECTION

For 18 months I have delighted in pouring over Francis T. "Red" Lee's Democratic library of delight! From the fifties to the eighties Mr. Lee and wife Mary were ardent politicians on the local scene: Spencer & The Brookfields. Lee and Phil Quinn were imbued in every aspect of politics. I am the beneficiary and enjoy every minute of it!

Today, while dumping more stuff off at the Salvation Army a 31 year old employee asked me' What kind of a President was JFK? I presented this man with a copy of Kennedy's Inaugural Speech. This evoked the curiosity.

"Without a doubt, John Fitzgerald Kennedy and wife Jacqueline Bouvier were rich, educated, ambulant, compassionate and enjoyed a fame never realized by any other First Family." The young man asked 'Was he better than NIXION>?" Expletive deleted!

Being a reasonable expert on many things I captivated this man's attention with facts. "JFK squeaked his way into Victory" I stated. President Kennedy said 'We're going to the Moon" and we did... and so on.

The evidence of this Worldwide appeal lives today around the globe. In Ireland JFK's images are in every home next to Christ's relates JOHN B. O'SULLIVAN! Fifty + years later we still mourn Kennedy's untimely death on November 22, 1963! And "Red" Lee was actually friends with Jack, Bobby and Teddy.

It is an absolute thrill for me to refresh my memories of my hometown, its people, and that moment we called CAMELOT!

Sincerely yours.

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
DEMOCRAT
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA












No comments:

Post a Comment