Saturday, May 19, 2018

BOB POTVIN DRIVES ONE LAP AT INDIANAPOLIS -1962

Indiana has always been affectionate for me! The first person I met upon arriving at Saint Louis University in September of 1962 was my esteemed brother and roommate BILL GROSS.Both Bill and I were transfer students.. he from St. Meinard's Seminary and I, Worcester Junior College. He a Mid-westerner..me an Easterner.

We grew in our own ways at SLU. Bill ended up winning "CAMPUS KING" in the Fall of 1964. Bill a likeable guy who went on to earn a Law Degree from Michigan! Over the years we have kept in touch in different ways. Bill invited me to his wedding while I was serving in Vietnam. "Sorry." In divorce, Bill was my confidante.

An exiting memory came in November of 1962 at Thanksgiving. We drove to Indianapolis to Washington Boulevard where I met his parents and enjoyed my first martini! Ugh. Then Bill, who had worked at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway the previous summer.. arranged for us to visit the Brickyard. His former boss sanctioned us to each drive a lap around the famous rack track!..at 70MPH.

Decades later, in 1986, I returned to Indy, visited the Museum of Speed and relished in my memories.. pretending I was a race car driver. LOL.The motivation to this all was the inspiration received from one Frank Cooke in 1962 who admitted he "once drove at Indy in a Race!" WOW.

So today, with Qualifying Trials , I reminisce to warm memories of Bill who now resides in Vancouver, Washington State. Time to "connect" once again with Billy!






 
The Mentor - Frank Cooke





 
Once Fat Bob

Atty. William Niblack Gross IV


Bill looking at the Windsor Lock Tobacco Sheds

No comments:

Post a Comment