Sunday, June 17, 2018

MY OLD MAN..JOE POTVIN 1913 -1983

The absolute best song about a father and a son can be found on YouTube  John Dermott of the Irish Tenors, remembering his dad.

A father paves the way for his children and an inseparable bond exists between a boy and his dad. In my case it was an iron clad melding. As a young boy I received lickens in our dungeon. Dad new best. He taught me much over the course of his 70 years. Truly his world was totally different than mine today!

Dad was meek, gentle, humorous, fair, honest, moody, a good judge of character and very moderate, slight, and very, very strong. He was a very creative mind and made do with what he had. He was thrifty in every sense of the word. He hemmed his own trousers bought from Max Cohen of Ware. He like pop corn, played the harmonica  and his 7 grandkids called him POP.

Dad never owned a brand new car but every car owned was like new and mostly Chevrolets..

He had special moments in the sun with his son. In the Fall we would walk over to Donovan Road, NB and pick pig walnuts on the ground to be enjoyed in winter months. Burning wood fascinated my father. The aroma of a "piece of ash" was like a soft perfume. My dog, DUSTY, too was family. Mother Rita kept busy all of the time braiding wool rugs.

As I grew up dad grew older and wiser. He was proud of me. He and Uncle Luke used to call me LUCKY. And yes, I was lucky to have him as my father in every way.

On Father's Day I'd give him a tin of  HALF AND HALF TOBACCO to be smoked in his Missouri Meerschaum..(Corned Cob ) pipe.

Now as I approach my 76 birthday, I too, and am an OLD MAN! If anything, Joseph E. was the absolute best role model I could have.

THANK YOU, POP!

Love, Bobby P
Fathers Day 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment