Sunday, June 3, 2018

MY GOLDEN CROWN FROM MEDICINE BOW, WYOMING - 1999

If luck is defined as where preparedness meets opportunity.. I'm a lucky SOB!

Yesterday I received documents mailed to Amherst, Ma  on March 29, 2018, to a nice homeless couple. I mailed them a sample of my writing. A typed 10 page letter is entitled THE GOLDEN CROWN OF MEDICINE BOW was returned! Postage Due!

The gist of my report is a recounting of my entire dental history... step by step:
  • Basic dental training with Doc Wight
  • Saint Louis Dental School wisdom
  • U.S. Army and Capt. James D. Rawlins Army dentist
  • X-Ray details in Vietnam
  • 14 Gold crowns from Dr. Larry Vanty, Windsor, Ct. and Mother Aetna
  • Root canals and dental longevity
  • Ultimate extractions
  • Dentures
 It was while living in Laramie, Wyoming, in 1999 in the Fall of that year my ship came in. I sold the Purdy Estate which funded my trip to Wyoming. I traveled twice to Cheyenne for Frontier Days in July and then discovered Laramie. It was mecca for me!

I bought a Chevrolet Cheyenne pickup at auction in Cheyenne for $2,800 and traveled the vast outpost of Wyoming. From Devil's Tower to Cody to Buffalo I devoured my Wyoming adventure for weeks on end. Then I got a toothache!

Having a good layman's knowledge of general dentistry I sought relief while being on  Wyoming's Interstate Highway 80 where the vistas are breathtaking. In Rock Springs I bought a periapical x-ray for $49 and carried it with me to Casper where one Doctor Paul Dona took care of this cowboy from the East.  Four hours later I was the recipient of a "three root drilling," titanium pins, and a call for a replacement gold crown."$1,400, please!" In the meantime I sported an acrylic crown and headed back home. My Wyoming adventure came to a screeching hault. No MEANINGFUL employment found.

Weeks later, a gold crown was mailed to Dr. Philip C. Feldberg in Windsor for the cementing of my new 16k  crown. It lasted until all hell broke loose about 5 years ago when I became a candidate for dentures. at age 73?

The moral of the story is 'BE TRUE TO YOUR TEETH AND THEY'LL NEVER BE FALSE TO YOU!" LOL...

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
TRAVELING MAN
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA






a periapical x-ray

What a root canal looks like

"Johnson" splish-splashing away!


No comments:

Post a Comment