Friday, June 29, 2018

MY "ALMOST FORGOTTEN" ESTATE AUCTION INRrOYALSTON

It was one of my better auctions of American antiquity in 1989. One Jane L. Newton hired me to sell off her mother's belongings that dated back to the Civil Ear. It proved to be an auction of controversy between Jane and her brother Harold.

Be it as it may,. the tents went up and the auction was held. In the collection of antiques came a cardboard box the size of a king-sized loaf of bread. The only thing was it wasn't a loaf of Wonder Bread but a Steiff-type Teddy Bear in mint condition!

I did not know what I had. I appraised the teddy bear for $100. When the auction bidding began the truth was revealed. The high bid hit $4,200.00. I was amazed and so was the buying crowd! Other primitives reaching high proportions were found in the Bennington stoneware. One piece fetched $1,800.00.

It was in the "middle of nowhere"  where Newton  is revered to this day!


Thank You, Jane.. you, too, taught me well. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment