Tuesday, June 19, 2018

DISCOVERING THE WENDEMUTH LEGACY AT THE QUABBIN CEMETERY

Today I discovered the Wendemuth burial plot at the Quabbin Cemetery! Julia Wendemuth died in 1985.Bert died in 1973, Herman in 1978,Fred also in 1973 and Ruth Crockwell later died in 1989. Of all the thousands buried in the Quabbin Memorial Park, I stumbled onto their headstone without any effort... just take a right at the circle and it appears on the left.

The Wendemuth klan was truly the last of old fashioned dairy farmers.They resided at the ancestral Bates Homestead on Bates Street, North Brookfield from 1936 to 1985. I was part and parcel in the liquidation of their entire estates. It was historical as they brought their history with them! I as a boy grew up with the Wendemuths

T C BATES






 from 1945 as a neighborhood kid.

I had returned to The Brookfields as a fledgling antique dealer in 1978 and Julia proved to be one of my best customers. It was from Julia I purchased the entire Quabaug Spring Water and their entire collection of key-wind clocks before the July Estate Auction staged on July 3, 1985, at the Blair House in WB.

We transported 7 U-Hall loads to my site under the big tents. It was an awesome production. There was so much stuff to sell Sister Jan ran a separate Tag Sale before and after the main attraction. It worked to perfection.

Folk Singer Andy May sang his song about the Quabbin Moon in the Valley. People came from 10 states! Prices realized were great to include Carte de vistes of Civil War soldiers taken by Ware photographer.. Mr. Aiken.Auctioneer Kim Estes helped me effectuate the grand auction.

No comments:

Post a Comment