Saturday, June 2, 2018

"MOTHER AETNA" 1965 - 1977

It takes tons of courage and soul searching to make a career move.. and I did just that!

Corporate  politics can bring out the best in you.. and it gnaws out the worst.. perhaps. Well, I bit the bullet in February of 1977. A review of my truncated career of insurance claims adjusting is in order!

  • The sign read 'It's not a job... it's a career.'
  • Working in the Home Office at 151 Farmington Ave, Hartford, under a roof of 9,000 employees was formidable in every regard. It truly was like a military compound  " Fort Aetna!"
  •  It was a game of corporate politics and after some 22 months I truly had enuf!
  • My family was young and I was a daring S.O.B.
  • The Aetna Sales Course for 6 weeks was grueling. I achieved an 86 average. Blue ribbons were given to those achieving 90%. So what!
  • The perks in the corporate culture were excellent. I got to see noted columnist Jack Anderson speak. Curt Gowdy also spoke about the Red Sox. Oakdale Theater saw entertainment..namely The Carpenters..Karen & Richard performing. A+
  • I made friends outside of Field Management. Graphic artist Valerie Bolden helped me create overhead slides for my presentations.
  • Because of I-91 traffic I arrived each morning before 7 AM and attended Mass at the cathedral across from the Home Office. Interesting. The homilies and scriptural readings were good.
  • The biggest problem is AETNA wanted my soul.
  • Higgison was the Director and really didn't understand what being an adjuster was really about. "Ignorance in action."
  • My one department friend was Phil Fierro. We shared the training platform teaching entry leven adjusters from all over America. This was fun. Then he got promoted.
  • I was thrust into a job I really didn't want.. Administrator of the Claim School! My support was weak.
  • I sought refuge in my young family of Ben and Josh.
  • Restoring 17 Laurel Ave, Windsor gave me my "second job." Too much.
  • The Windsor Jaycees allowed me to grow as a member and program contributor. This was my calling. Socially and intellectually.
  • As the months in Fort Aetna went buy I became more and more disenchanted  so I sought help of a "shrink" Marvin Zellman, MD. There 7 visits helped me open my life's door to independence.
  • 'If you can't stand the heat.. get out of the kitchen" said president Harry Truman. I did just that.
  • In my search for the key to the real world I discovered a Personnel Manual with the answer: "Some employees leave Aetna without any notice." My heart pulsated with approval"
  • 'Hello, Ed, yesterday was my last day!" We met t John Brown's Restaurant in Bloomfield and spoke for four hours!
  • I affirmed my decision to leave the womb the next day. It was over!
  •  Leaving the security of a "job" emancipated me for the remaining years of my life. I was free.
  • Over the years I have been on a journey of unbelievable proportions. I've been everywhere and delight in the whole process of growth.
  • My retirement benefits of $239.67 a month are paltry yet, as a retiree I get all of the corporate propaganda of how great they are:$$$$$$$$.

AETNA.. GLAD I MET YA

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
AETNA # 87493
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585

No comments:

Post a Comment