Monday, February 13, 2017

STURBRIDGE ON A MONDAY



In my quest for the best of JFK issuance next Monday, I taveled to Warren and Sturbridge.I found what I wanted. I got a 2015 " in a THE MOON" in a Sheet of 10 plus a block of Four "Pluto" I love it. I also went to Michaels for some ideasa for execution. Stamp collecting is much more than collecting stamps!


The Hobby of Philately developed big time time it the Depression Years. People reverted to their attics for cancelled envelopes. Then, they would steam off the stamps and a hobby was borne. An ingenious mind invented stamp hinges.. little glassine hinges and stamp albums became the rule. H.W. Harris pioneered the hobby along with others. "Approvals" caught hold.


During WWII folks looked forward to getting main from soldiers around the world. President Roosevelt delighted in getting "V-ee" mail from around the world.


Today our worlds have changed. Yes, it is a greying hobby, yet still fun.


Chase, Lilly and Maddie will delight in my offerings. I have some diminutive  brown and black envelopes for them to ply their imaginations.
Again, I endorse this hobby and all hobbies. Sure beats watching the news!


Sunset was at 5:00 PM. Very cold out.


No comments:

Post a Comment