Saturday, February 11, 2017

ROLLTOP DESKS

The age of golden oak saw the proliferation of desks made. From Larkin Soap to Cutler, desks, rolltop alldesks reigned supreme. As a new antique dealer in 1978 I had a reward for being a good Samaritan. I was in Ware at the bakery when I came upon and old man and lady who had a flat tire. I responded with a helping hand. When I told the lady I was an antique dealer I was invited to her place of business!




"Everybody has tried to get this desk from me...and because you have helped me and my husband, the desk is yours. As I recall I paid her $150 and had a buyer waiting in the wing. I made a fat profit and in a year I came upon an incredible desk down the Cape!




It was tiger maple, 1790, and had all features that made it a winner. I auctioned it off for eight grand. A year later I had a roll  top of the highest order and sold that one for $2,000! Quality desks seem to be the backbone of all auctions... or they were back then.




Desks have social appeal. Raised panel, serpentine types ring the chimes of dealers and connoisseurs. Another time I bought a C-roll desk once belonging to Doc McCarthy. I lost money on that deal. S-Roll types ae superior. Today I own are production S roll top type. It was Beginners Luck for me in changing a flat in Ware at the bakery. All along the way I have enjoyed desks of all varieties


!

No comments:

Post a Comment