Tuesday, February 21, 2017

MY FOLKS WERE SO SMART

To honor Joe & Rita in 1961 I threw a surprise party to celebrate their 25th Anniversary in marriage. Both of my parents made do without. Dad used to hem his own dress trousers while mother knitted and pearled. Our lives were in harmony. They were resolute in living the good life.




Dad espoused the straight and narrow . "Bobby, I don't want any trouble from you!" He got his wish.








Growing up in the 50s and 60s was a horse of a different color: BLACK AND WHITE! Mother graded apples for 40 cents an hour for Hammy Lincoln at the Brookfield Orchards.




Our families, both the Poulins and Potvins lived in harmony. We laughed, helped each other and cheered each other on.




My folks were married 47 years. They taught Jan and I well. How lucky can kids be? I rewarded my parents by being that good son they hoped for. From Boys State honors to serving my Country as a soldier in Vietnam,my gift to both of them was Soldier of the Month Award and a new Zenith Color Television I bought them upon return home...$700!




How lucky can a guy be?


Son Ben


Coming Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment