Tuesday, February 7, 2017

MY FIRST CHEVROLET 60 YEARS AGO TONIGHT

I was but 14 and one half when the call came from a hunchback neighbor. "Hello, sonny, bring your father over !" I knew what he wanted....to sell me his antique 1933 Coupe. I was elated with his request!


A year before I put in my request 'Mr. Norcross, when you are ready to sell this car I want first refusal." I got my wish. Dad and I went over across the way and negotiated  a price of $40. I was to use a U.S. Savings Bond Series E to pay for the wheels.


A 1933 car had mechanical brakes, spoke wheels and still courted a hand crank. It was a six cylinder with a feature called 'Free-Wheeling." We bought a tube radio from Morris Lubin and hand-painted it with a brush. It was mine!


That summer mother drove the car to Hammy Lincoln's Brookfield Orchards. My license plate was L64-669. It had mohair upholstery. Not too many boys 15 had their own car.


My father taught me well in the ways of auto mechanics. Over 60 years I have owned more than 30 cars.. many are Chevrolet. Two Mercedes Benz made me a "marked man" from 1982 - to 1992... a 240-D and a 190-E.


I think my favorite car was the Cadillac Allante'..


Today the Honda Accord EX is overall fantastic. What more can I say? All cars are created equal"..LOL.







2008 Honda


1933 Chevrolet Eagle

No comments:

Post a Comment