Tuesday, December 5, 2017

ROLLS-ROYCE MADE IN SPRINGFIELD, Mass. 1921-1931

On this date - December 5, 1961, I was smitten by a lady...The Flying Lady or The Spirit of Ecstasy - the mascot of the Rolls-Royce . I was 19. My girlfriend was Diana Cooke of North Brookfield! Puppy Love.






I lived at 18 South Main Street; the Cooke Family  lived at 100 South Main in a mansion similar to those seen in Newport, RI. Frank Cooke proved to be my main mentor in my youth.




Mr. Cooke invited me to travel with Karen and Billy to Westchester County, NY. The destination was Mount Vernon where a junkyard featured classic antique automobiles. In particular was a Rolls Royce convertible.. about 1925 Made in Springfield. Cooke bought the car for "about $8.00 a pound."




Rolls-Royce owner, Ed Lake of Ludlow traveled with Mr. Cooke and drove the car home maybe two weeks later. I became mesmerized with the Rolls-Royce concept! Yow. Now Frank owned two RRs and a 1922 Stanley Steamer... a National First Place winner.




How lucky could this emerging adult be!? Mr. Cooke was inculcating me big time to a legacy that was born in our back year 30 miles to the west: Springfield, MA. In 1922 the parishioners gave a Rolls-Royce to Francis O'Leary, the Bishop of Springfield! My dad witnesses the Bishop coming to North Brookfield for his Confirmation in a Rolls Royce!




Meanwhile back at Cooke's Mansion came the rebirth of the Piccadilly or Playboy Roadster. The Rolls sported an all-aluminum body which was removed. The iron chassis  needed to be wire-brushed. Frank Cooke assigned me to the process of using a coiled rotary  wire brush assembly to remove all rust. My summer of 1962 proved to be thrilling.




I worked for FCI (Frank Cooke, Incorporated) in the optics field, his specialty. I ground ribs in a round piece of German pyrex. The end product was for a reflecting mirror for a satellite ... to be used at Vandenberg Air Force  Base. I worked two summers at the Summer Street location (Formerly White Overalls N.B..)




The love affair with Springfield Rolls Royce motor cars continues to this day. I WILL own my own RR, hopefully soon. Maybe someday I will stage Estate Auctions featuring these "Springfield Babies?  LOL.)


As the RR ad reads: "Enjoy Life All You Can.. it's a mistake not too."



I believe I embrace the Spirit of Ecstasy...The Flying Lady!


Col. Robert Louis Potvin
Estate Auctioneer
"The Real Deal"


Mass. License  AU2000
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585


508-867-3360 Anytime





No comments:

Post a Comment