Saturday, December 9, 2017

HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS - CHRISTMAS 1966

Fifty years ago I was in Uniform. I came home for the holidays from Fort Dix, NJ. I was in military training to be a radiology technician. Taking x-rays was my "bag." I didn't have a clue what was in store for me. Swedis and I were carefree. We laughed at most things and the ribaldry of it all. We were young...I 24..Jack 23. He was a Reservist; I, a conscript.


Being home for Christmas 1967 was wonderful. For the moment I wore civilian clothing, renewed contacts in the Brookfields and drank beer with my folks and Uncle Luke. My furlough may have been a week. I bought African Violets from Bert Wendemuth on Bates Street, NB. I savored the moments walking in a blinding Nor'easter. I wore my "Shultz" OD overcoat.. reasonably innocent. I was single and footloose.


As I entered the historic farmhouse, the Crawford Cook Stove was "talking up" as Herman and Fred sat like cigar store Indians next to the cast iron monstrocity of a different era. The ambience of the moment rang my doorbell. I had arrived.You must know my entire boyhood of halcyon days tweaked my French-Canadian - American spirit. I was in Heaven, again..


Julia Wendemuth, a biddy of mild manners and compassion, liked me. Hazel Johnson, maybe a bit neurotic, stood by as the boss, Bert Wendemuth shared with me his floricultural prowess. Bert.. short for Albert was a WWI Veteran. His voice was weak and squeaky. For years the clan would drive uptown in their 1933 Plymouth sedan with suicide doors. Weekdays they shipped milk to Worcester leaving the metal milk  cans at their mailbox at South Main and Bates Street, NB. My bedroom window was within earshot of both their mailbox and stand for the milk which was picked up each morning at 6:00 AM. I can still hear the truck laboring.


I received my psychic income by "Being Home For The Holidays!"


The warmth of our parlor stove burning Ash wood and my Golden Retriever




J. Oscar Poulin  Grandfather c. 1916

Auctioneer Colby Johnson My hero!

Connie Mack


Auburn's Robert H. Goddard  Father of Modern Rocketry

My first book!

North Brookfield Postal Workers


 Dusty sleeping on a braided rug made by Mother along with POP smoking Half & Half in his Missouri Meerschaum thrilled me to no end.


Little did I know how 1967 would unfold! For sure I would receive orders for an AFEES Station like Buffalo taking chest x-rays of soldiers. Wrong: Orders for Vietnam!


To be continued


Col. Robert Louis Potvin
Estate Auctioneer, Appraiser and Blogger
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585

No comments:

Post a Comment