Monday, December 18, 2017

LEARNING ABOUT ANTIQUES IN THE 21ST CENTURY

Webster defines an antique as anything OLD! In the framework of things, Antiques, by definition is anything before December 19, 1917, one hundred years. When I began collecting in the late 50s old meant anything OLD. Today Billy Joel's Piano Man album classifies as a true Collectible!


Everything seems to be transformed from a SmartWatch for $850.00 to a pair of high-heeled sneakers. Certainly E-Bay has changed the min in antiques. Virtually anything and everything may be found in an electronic auction. I'm not sure if I tilt towards that venue. Is SNIPE kosher?


Connoisseurs of antiquity should know and understand the game. Negotiating skills vary accordingly and I have found IF I really want an antique I get it... one way or the other.Auctioneer Bruce Smebakken liquidated Jesse Gilbert's estate in 1980. The advertised "BROOKFIELD SAMPLER" moved me.Wrought in 1824 by Amanda Brigham, the sampler remained in my home until divorce spelled SELL! Carrie and Ray Ruggles paid me $2,000.00 a nice amount, indeed.


Generally speaking, Early American Antique Furniture holds its value and even appreciates in time. Antique Dealer and friend Gary Miller set me straight in 1982. Gary loaned me  his book " FINE POINTS OF FURNITURE." by Albert Sack. This one book set me straight! GOOD< BETTER< BEST is how you can qualify spiffy antique case goods.Today, a brand new copy with the dust jacket arrived.


But antiques is far more than fancy wood creations. To know one must study. You make mistakes like the oak book case I bought from Dorothy Rand or the S Rolltop which was once the Postmaster's desk in his Worcester office..C.W Sherman..$2,000! I traded even... no profit.


HOBBIES are Healthy. You must be careful you do not become a COMPULSIVE-OBSESSIVE! Hoarding is hazardous to your health. By deaccessioning duplicates, etc. you will not build a "collection of clutter."
We are all guilty of this I am certain.


Instead of clutter have little shrines all over hour home. Visitors may be amused and entertained. Down South my friend Charlene Whitman has quite a collection of "innocent salt and pepper shakers.!" In Worcester my friend Joe T has a wonderful collection of everything! LOL. Then there are misers who collect currency. BORING.


In this day and age of The Digit, collectibles from the 1980s are already coming of age. I have found THE SALVATION ARMY satisfies my needs. You must have that all important "SENSE OF HISTORY".. if you said you bought a 1922 Ford Thunderbird I would give you an "F"













If you said you bought a 1955 Ford Thunderbird I's say "what color?" I think automobiles and trucks must be at least 25 years old to qualify for "Antique License Plates."


The more you read the more self-confidence you will muster. Visit antique shops. STURBRIDGE ANTIQUES at the entry of Walmart is excellent. Looking is not costly. Polish up your negotiating skills as it will be "the agreement of parties between seller and buyer.


On January 1, 2018, THE FABULOUS NEW YEARS'S DAY ANTIQUE SHOW beckons you visit and buy! I know I'm going with my flag trousers!


Now I'm an antique and luvin' it!


Col. R. Louis Potvin
Connoisseur..Blogger .. Auctioneer.. and "C" Student..LOL
Box 11


West Brookfield, AM 01585



No comments:

Post a Comment