Saturday, December 16, 2017

MY VIETNAM - AN ISOLATED DUTY 1967

Adjusting to a way different country, culture and citizenry was an intellectual challenge for me. From turning in my greenbacks upon arrival to "borrowing" a Dodge M-37 from the Vung Tau motor pool for a month, Vietnam for me was about learning... and I did.


Captain Thomas Hudson Moss was from Rome, GA. His father, too, wasa practicing physician in Rome. The funniest story told me by Captain Moss involved an old-timer who say Dr. Moss. " Who is this JOHN POPE from Rome" queried this old timer. He was baffled with identifying "John Pope." Of course it was POPE JOHN from Rome, Italy! LOL.


Moss wasn't necessarily happy yet he like me. "Potvin.. the powers to be want to send you into battle." Obviously somebody didn't appreciate my 'Kennedy accent.' Doctor Moss said 'I went to bat for you, Potvin.' and I remained at the 345th Medical Dispensary. In turn he gave me the books and slides and told me "you will be giving VD lectures such as the 39th Signal Corps. The troops can't identify with us doctors but they can an Enlisted Man."


I distinctly recall talking to a company of soldiers. "The only way you can prevent contracting VD is TOTAL ABSTINANCE" I said. Some punk yelled back.."Yea, if you like boys." The crowd laughed!


Letters from home took 4 days by AIR MAIL. Us soldiers had a Free Franking Privilege. All we did was to write FREE on the envelope in the upper right corner. for the most part U.S. Mail was the one way of keeping the home fires alive. every soldier was different. My parents and Uncle Albert Poulin were my Pen Pals. Only several letters remain in my possession today. Some guys had no family; other guys may have had tape recordings.


All my memoirs may be found on "TogetherWeServed U.S. Army BobbyP.."


Vung Tau had a Library on post. It was in a trailer yet was good. It was there I found a National Geographic Magazine  Aug 1967 featuring Champlain County, VT. It was then I had a vision of having a New England farm someday. In 1988-1989 my dream came true on Birch Hill road, WB.


Somehow my equation for happiness came with the wonderful Australian Troops who visited me regularly in my x-ray lab. Rod Bryar, Geoff Andrews, Dallas Mulhall and others shared with me their affections. Down Under became tops as I prepared for my R&R in October of 1967.


The weeks and months went by one at a time.Sgt Major Claude Russell like me as I showcased my speaking skills. "I am going to send you up again, Potvin, regarding The Soldier of The Month Board of the 36th Evac Hospital.. new clothes, books to study and a military smile.."


To Be Continued!


SOLDIER-OF-THE-MONTH
SP/4  Robert L. Potvin
68th Medical Group
Saigon

No comments:

Post a Comment