Saturday, December 1, 2018

MORE PRESIDENT BUSH MEMORIES

About a month ago I was the successful bidder on a George Bush bronze medal. I liked the medal for it is a reminder of my true-to-life experiences with Mr. Bush like being at the Toronto All-Star Game in the summer of 1991. The Presidential limousine traveled by my family and I wrote "I guess we are in the right place!"

Bush grew on me to the point I traveled to New Hampshire several times covering his candidacy. My thrill came with being credentialed by The White House Press Corps on a cold January day in 1992. I read Bush was coming to Yokum's Restaurant to deliver a speech to the Rotary Club. Being that Joe Kutt opened up the door for me with his political contacts.. Joe was my guest at the dinner where the President was to speak!

The media entourage that day began early. We had no less than five tour busses carrying us around as George Bush visited New Hampshire businesses. I sat with a Japanese reporter  who was impressed by the fact "Americans travel to work so early" (5:00AM.) The President arrived at an airport hanger.. met with officials.. then I had a chance to field a question!

As he stood by a computer terminal I asked him 'What do you think. Mr. President!?' He responded as one would expect.

The 1992 presidential race was unique as Ross Perot, the Texas billionaire thwarted Bush's attempt to be re-elected. Clinton won and the old man was devastated.

Tonight I have devoured the retrospective showing of the president's life of public service. Sure, Reagan was a tough act to follow. George Herbert Walker Bush was truly a man's man and will go down in history, too, as a good man!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01585

No comments:

Post a Comment