Saturday, December 1, 2018

GEORGE HERBERT WALKER BUSH RIP

I once had a personal relationship with President Bush! From Kennybunkport, Maine to the campaign trail in New Hampshire, President Bush proved to be human!

Better yet, I scored a grand slam with him by sending him a Holy Cross Postcard issued in 1993 - O'Kane Hall. It was Martin D. Leach, NBHS Principal admitted to me "I would have never seen the Ivy League colleges if it wasn't for being a relief pitcher with Holy Cross College."

I attended the First Day Issue ceremony at the Worcester Post Office and purchased, say 50 issues. I numbered them then thought 'Who can I send one to? Voila..GHWB!

I crafted a letter asking President Bush if he remembered playing at Fitton Field in Worcester. BINGO! I received an immediate letter from the president saying "I do, indeed recall those games against The Cross and enjoyed every moment of it!. You are thoughtful  and I enclose a tiny gift." In a small
blue box was a gold-plated tie clip bearing the Presidential Seal!!!!.

Later on I was lucky in having my story published in Scotts Stamp Monthly. OMG. It even made the featured cover story entitled "MY PRESIDENTIAL SUCCESS" recounting my good fortune.

President Bush typed his own letters and autographed them accordingly. My other correspondences included:
  • A book found at a flea market bearing his father's name.
  • A letter praising him for his Walker Point real estate in Maine
  • My letter praising him for jumping out of an airplane in his eighties.
  • Others
In shaking his hand during a Town Meeting I grabbed him by the upper arm saying :" You are a good Yankee.. Mr. President" Arnold Schwarzenegger was also on the stage that memorable day.

I liked President Bush. He was the real deal.. a polished Ivy Leaguer. Peripatetic in every way.. his defeat by BUBBA affected him immensely.

'Thank you, Mr. President!'

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN

O'Kane Hall  Holy Cross College
A fan of President Bush
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA


No comments:

Post a Comment