Saturday, December 22, 2018

CHRISTMAS IN THE HOMETOWN (NORTH BROOKFIELD, MASS.)

The following is an extract from a New Leader article I wrote on December 11, 1986:

'Twenty five years ago I was a freshman at Worcester Junior College. Amongst a variety of subjects required was English Composition. Innocently I reported to class the first day with a couple of other North Brookfield students, Joe Przypek and Ronnie Stackow., only to learn our professor hailed from North Brookfield, too! Mr. Robert C. Gould was a tall  (Princeton University no less.) scholarly type who had bought John Wood's house on Bennet's Hill - Waite Corner a few years earlier.

'Amongst those theme papers in my attic is a two page theme entitled "Christmas in My Hometown I'd like to share with my readers some of the feelings I wrote back in 1961.

"Adding to all the brilliant Yuletide decorations exhibited (bye townspeople) a romantic but vicious blizzard blanketed my town with more than a foot of snow on December 12, 1961. Traffic was at a standstill for more than a day. After digging themselves out, North Brookfield shoppers filled the stores in preparation for the coming holidays.

" Before I knew it, Christmas Eve was greeting me!  As night fell I decided to go outside my house and observe the surroundings. To the north I saw a gleaming steeple in the distance signifying the presence of our Almighty Being. As I turned to the west a white farmhouse caught my eye, perhaps displaying a small manger.

"Looking south and east I saw several homes displaying the decorative skills of their proud owners.

"Then I sat down for a moment and began to think about the true meaning of Christmas. I suddenly realized the true meaning was right before me in both the beautiful natural and man-made splendor of the season. Walking back to the house several snowflakes dusted my face. Feeling them, I fully realized how fortunate I was to celebrate Christ's birth in New England.

' My grade was a B. Mr. Gould's comments in red ink read  "Naturally it sounds realistic to me."

NB.. this memoir was written just months before Col John Hershel Glenn' flight into space!

RLP



12/22/2018

My cup runneth over!

No comments:

Post a Comment