Saturday, December 15, 2018

JOE & RITA POTVIN 1977

Here's a photo I took capturing my parents a long time ago. This snap is a reminder to me of the wonderful upbringing I had. Mother was a self-proclaimed homemaker. Gram Rita took charge of everything to do with our family! She prepared all of the meals, did all of the laundry and kept a meticulous house. Dad worked as a home builder and "brought home the bacon!" He worked with his brother A.L. Potvin for a weekly paycheck.

There were natural good times and times that revealed my mother's courage and direction. I have an older sister Jan. We "fought" as related by Rita's youngest sister, Blanche Borelli.

The example set by my parents is evoked by the fact they never owned a new car.. but every car owned by them was like new! It was my pleasure being their son. On cold winter nights we'd ensconce  around the black and white TV and enjoyed a bowl of popcorn and a glass of cider as my dog Dusty would have nightmares. Gram Rita braided rugs and knitted while dad napped on the couch!. We would "make do" never reaching for the golden ring. "Mom admitted she didn't need prestige when it came to Dad's funeral expenses!

The property at 18 South Main Street was their showplace. Bought in 1945 for $4,500 my mom sold it for $100,000 giving he a comfortable retirement. She lived at Jan & Ray's house for 17 odd years and saw her grandkids into adulthood.

My forebears were hard workers with little education. Rita never showed her playing cards in life! As the oldest of 7 she was a born leader.

Isn't it nice to reflect a part of my life that has such meaning and purpose! Thanks, Joe & Rita!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
AN APPRECIATIVE SON
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA
 

No comments:

Post a Comment