Saturday, December 22, 2018

I HEARD THE BELLS ON CHRISTMAS DAY - LONGFELLOW

"I heard the bells on Christmas Day,
Their old familiar carols play
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good well to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of  all Christendom
Had rolled along th'unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will towards men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
'There is no peace on earth, ' I
 said
"For hate is strong, and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will towards men.

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
'God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right shall prevail,
With peace on earth, good will towards men."

Till, ringing, singing on its way,
The world evolved from night to day
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
 Of peace on earth good will towards men.

N.B. This poem was written by Henry Wadworth Longfellow in the depths of the Civil War c. 1863.

R.L.P.
12/22/18

No comments:

Post a Comment