Monday, December 3, 2018

LOOKING BACK

The ceremony beneath the Capitol Rotunda brought back even more memories of 'Bush 41.' For more than 2 hours I lost myself in the present moment. While I recognized some members of his Cabinet such as James Baker and Dick Cheney, some I just didn't recognize. I did recognize Lynda Robb and husband Chuck. Lynda is LBJ's older daughter.

The ceremony was somber - patriotic - and meaningful. It was really beautiful watchin it on C-SPAN without and interruptions. The vibrant colors of red-white and blue really captured my imagination.

General Colin Powell and General Schwarzkopf.

 
Memories of the Desert Storm Parade in 1991 brought me back to the day I traveled to New York City for the event. It was dubbed "The Parade of All Parades" and it was. Our military might was flaunted that day. Military marching bands and music by George M. Cohan filled the June Monday and I was part of it.
 
A peruliar incident came about while watching things go by. A crazy was pelting the crowd high atop a sky scraper with stones! All I know is it got out undivided attention.
 
I think a parade is necessary in our Country. It brings out the best both in those marching and those observing. Desert Storm seemed to be more popular than Vietnam and the President Bush went on record as saying" this will not be another Vietnam! " And he was right.
 
Everything going on in DC seemed to be perfect. The Capital City gleamed in the late afternoon sunshine.
 
I think Bush 41 deserves all the adulation and praise given. In many ways he taught me a thing or two both in the written word and on the campaign tail. Both gave me insights into being a public servant. Clearly GHWB was a family man.. through and through.
 
The Bush Legacy is standing tall!
 
ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
E-5
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA 01685

No comments:

Post a Comment