Tuesday, February 26, 2019

SLIP AND FALL SENIORS

Today's New York Times has a feature addressing falls with seniors. A review of obituaries by the 77 year old author states " One of the most frequent causes of death for people my age (77) is 'complications from a fall.' The truth in the matter falls can be avoided by employing common sense such as having a night light between the bedroom and bathroom.

"Falls are the leading cause of fatal and non fatal injuries among older adults.. and most age-related falls are preventable once you know  why they happen and take  steps to minimize  the risk for yourself."

Personally, I have taken measures to tidy up my abode removing "fall traps" such as an afghan knitted by mother's hands. My toes got caught several times before I came to realize it was dangerous so I gave it away. "One fall in five amongst older adults results in serious injury " so the article reads. "Regular hearing and eye checkups are important."

For me, stairs are anathema. I make sure I hold on to a railing for security and balance. The author pinpoints things by saying "Get rid of clutter - no books, papers, clothing or pet toys left on the floor or furniture that partially obstruct paths to the bathroom, kitchen or bedroom. Install railings.!"

"Darkness can spell danger so leave lights on." "Low heels are a must." Personally, at night I use a cane in my trips to the bathroom. It gives me security.

Slipping and falling is natural to humans of any age; taking necessary precautions reveals common-sense wisdom!
 
ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment