Wednesday, February 13, 2019

FEBRUARY 14, 1964 -ST. LOUIS U

It was on this date in 1964 when I got to shake LBJ's hand and ask him for his pocket kerchief! This one event was pivotal to my undergraduate days in St. Louis, MO. I planned this moment to a T and it worked.

Because the JFK assassination was just weeks old (11-22-1963) and Johnson was quite popular I felt as I do now having to take it all in was truly a historical moment in my life.

I cut all of my classes that February Friday. I was the first observer on site and waited patiently for my reward: flesh on flesh. Gussie Busch of Budweiser was the connection with Johnson. 1964 was the Bicentennial of the City of Saint Louis and my college was the first one Johnson visited!

The site was a field with crushed white stones. A snow fence separated us from the President & Secret Service. As LBJ walked towards the crowd of 10,000 well-wishers the swell of humans pushed me over on the fence with a nun laying on top of me! LOL. The good sister had asked me to give her my front row position. "Sorry sister."

Security was tight. All dormitories had to be evacuated and blinds drawn. Sharpshooters stood atop buildings with guns in their hands. America and the world just didn't know how to protect LBJ. My photograph was taken as we shook hands, the president was surrounded by the Secret Service.

Hearing Mr. Johnson deliver his speech was so disappointing. No longer did we hear the eloquence of our fallen leader. Johnson's tone was flat and his Texan drawl obvious.

There's magic in all presidential visits. I see President Trump in El Paso, TX with the surrounding crowd exuberant. My experience was no different. LBJ's visit was short notice was short notice. Red and white posters appeared only days earlier announcing the visit.

Television crews carried his visit and my boss, Lou Marcus admitted seeing me on tv! After the president's visit I anticipated Father Reinert receiving correspondence from The White House. Sure enough... and I got to get a copy for posterity. I retained it for years and donated it to the University archives.

The one thing I appreciated most as a college student was the City was the hub of  activities from World Series to presidential candidates such as Barry Goldwater's coming thru.

The sad thing about LBJ came in his campaign to be elected in Nov of 1964. I traveled to downtown St. Louis to hear him speak. The crowd jeered him! He was shaken and adlibbed a response of confidence."I know when I am back at the Ranch on the Perdinales on election day I will win.

Finally, LBJ fans and critics can log onto You Tube and watch "LBJ!" I do now to foster my memory of a cold day in February - 1964!
"Hi Mom!"

The President Plants a Tree

Paul C. Reinert, SJ, introduces LBJ

No comments:

Post a Comment