Monday, February 25, 2019

PRE-ROCK TUNES OF YESTERYEAR

There exists on the internet a great resource to music. A list of Billboard number-one singles date back to the year I was born (1942) and earlier. My new Google Home Hub is my AM Radio in 2019.

Many older readers will recall Bob Perrin's Spa where teenagers congregated in the forties and early fifties.. As a pre-teen I "put another nickel in the Nickleodian!"

I have made a random listing of songs you may recall knowing you can have these titles today for a song!

I recall dancing in the Town Hall in North Brookfield to the music of  the Four Lads.. "Moments to Remember."  "Cry" by Johnnie Ray was tops in 1952 as was 'Wheel of Fortune." Georgie Gibbs had a hit called "Kiss of Fire."  also, Patty Page sang I Went To Your Wedding.  Jonie James sang :Why Don't You Believe Me?

At Christmas time in 1955 sister Jan and I got a portable record player. This was my entre in being a self-admitted disk jockey. This grew into my playing records at NBHS every Noon in the gym.

So many toons loom in our brains and it is therapeutic to tune-in on Tune In. The Fontaine Sisters.. the McGuire Sisters and their hit "Sincerely" come back alive and to be enjoyed by all of us. I did, in fact have a Davey Crocket coon-skin hat in 1955.

Life seemed so innocent as we were "emerging adults." Absolutely every hit song of yesteryear can come alive in your home simply by doing what I have done: get a Google Home Hub!

 
ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
 
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment