Thursday, February 21, 2019

MY ITCHY TWITCHY THURSDAY

My skin condition has me in an uncomfortable position today. It's driving me nuts! I have tried to work around things, first by writing a blog entry on Africa only to have lost a completed version citing the populations of the many countries. I never studied much about Africa even though I was a Geography Major at St. Louis U.

Speaking of the devil I just had a phone call from SLU! A young undergrad names "Tory" was friendly. We spoke over 20 minutes. I had fun sharing with Tory my Saint Louis experiences. To say the least I've had a renewed spirit by learning about my Alma Mater 55+ years later.

My biggest discovery today was in reviewing the history of photography.  We live in unparralled times. Selfies dominate photography and transmitting a photo on the Internet is magical.But here's the rub: OLD PHOTOS IN A SHOE BOX!

My memories in photography and experiences in liquidating estates gives me valuable insights. You must organize all old photos and separate them accordingly. Walgreens sell small book-type folios to help you organize those precious moments before they get lost, trashed or whatever. This is serious as family photographs are priceless! recently a friend showed me some archival photos of 100 years ago. I can't impress upon you how these "mirrors with memories" allow you to tell your own stories.

The history of photography emerged in 1826.Dauguerre  perfected the Daguerreotype that got photography rolling. In 1860 Abraham Lincoln's photo was taken by Matthew Brady. The Civil War had thousands of photos taken.. many were mounted on card board.  (Carte de Viste.)

On the personal side I have handled such photos in the Wendemuth Estate auction and others. It is thrilling to discover historic photos and to offer them at auction. Sometimes original rare photos may sell for six figures!

The photograph book featured sells for $200! I will write more on photographs later. In the meantime I itch therefore I scratch!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
$200!

No comments:

Post a Comment