Tuesday, November 20, 2018

WHY ARE ANTIQUES & COLLECTIBLES SO CHEAP TODAY?

The main reason as I see it is THERE'S NO SUPPORT. For decades antiques were a hedge against inflation. As an auctioneer I was in the thick of it. Maybe the beloved internet is to blame? Traditionally,, bidding at auction is a leap of faith. By the same token I once Auctioned off The Worcester postmaster's oak "S" roll-top desk for $2,000. A week later I was in Dallas at Joe Small's auction and saw the identical Cutler desk sold for $1,600!

The mechanics of an auction is far-reaching. The auctioneer tries to get every last penny and the bidders try to steal things. It is only by practice do good auctioneers get better. You just can't be shaky.

I don't ascribe to the chicanery of snype bidders on the internet. It's like a shill in the crowd if you ask me. Also, auction reserves play a role in the bottom line. 'I will sell it if I get my price' implies greed. "I am not going to give it away'.. more greed. I am a purist.. at my auction is  one way... out the door!

I don't think folks care if a piece of furniture is a repro or an antique. By definition.. an antique must be at least 100 years old! I have a small "S" ladies roll top in my office a reproduction, . to me it is fine.

The truth of the matter is some millennials have no appreciation for antique anything. If there's no demand.. this is not good for the anticipated bidding. My friend and student, Steve Magnante, of Barrett Jackson  Collector Car Auction fame has a wonderful appreciation for valuable cars & trucks. I think cars may be the exception! There is obvious support for collector cars of the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s vintage.

Today's technologies reveal how antiquated many vehicles are  10- 20 years later! My Honda is a good example of "built-in obsolescence."

Times ae a changing and FADS can reverse appreciation of values.

Stay tuned.. maybe! Electronics from the 1980's ae hot according to Tom's Electronics in Palmer. The sharks will be always be swimming in your waters so WATCH OUT!

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN
STILL HAVING FUN!
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment