Tuesday, November 20, 2018

LOOKING BACK AT MY LIFE AS AN ESTATE AUCTIONEER

"Auctions mean  action and we guaranty satisfaction!"

I knew I wanted to be an auctioneer at a very young age. The intrigue of being a person chanting his cry in front of a crowd tickled my fancy. I prepared for being an auctioneer by taking several courses in speech in college. Further I began "digging" into a certain topic in antiques and collectibles.

Being the son of a carpenter I gained insights in residential real estate. Then, after college I fell into my chosen field as an insurance claim adjuster. This particular job was the challenge I was looking for. I had a company car and was "foot-loose and fancy free." It seemed everything was coming up roses for Bob Potvin.

As in all of my life I enjoy self-development. I enjoy it so much I "flew the corporate coop at age 34." I began flying in new directions.. first as an economic development aide, then as a fledgling antiques dealer. This calling was in my DNA. I wanted it and I got it. My sapient ways saw the buying of a Greek Revival house in West Brookfield. This classic resident sends a terrific message. I built the ladder, got help and say 60 gallons of English Ivory bring the house back to life. But don't get me wrong!

In paying $28,500 cash for the house my challenges were cut out. No central heat, poor wiring, no running water, no insulation and more forced me to "fish or cut bait!" My desire was that great to weather the storms.. then a miracle happened: The Hunt Brothers failure in capturing the world silver markets.

It was my Massachusetts Miracle. I earned money to see a new asphalt roof put on and the modernization of the bathroom and kitchen. Further, I earned enough cash to transcend the second floor to an apartment. This gave me cash flow and optimism to keep going. I was so ambitious I bought a second antique house near the WBES. Dad and Jack Swedis helped me to see another dream come true in seven months.

All along the auction bug was squirming in my brain... so I took my Oldsmobile with family, drove to New Orleans for a coin convention then up the river to Saint Louis westward to Kansas City. It worked and now I had a diploma saying I was an auctioneer. It came natural to me and I was a novice calling bids at the annual St. Mary Auction in Scituate.. a job I did for 10 years.

If anything I responded to the challenge of becoming the best in the business. I kept learning and I kept earning. The National Auctioneers Association was my guide in becoming. I LOVED IT!

My auction enterprise was a family affair. While it took 4-6 weeks to see a sale to completion, son's Ben and Josh pitched in with Ben selling "Ben's Franks" to Mighty Josh helping dad with the Skunk Work! After calling some rare coin auctions I sought Estate work. Much of my work came from lawyers and bank trust officers.

One auctioneer dubbed my efforts as "Beginner's Luck." I disagree with this as I know what it takes: HARD WORK. Each year saw me 'having fun' and earning a very good pay. I averaged about 6 - 9 auctions a year. On-site are better than hotel ballrooms as a general rule. Shawmut Trust and Mechanics Trust proved to be my mainstay to my successes. Things got to be so hectic I brought my auction school buddy, Maurice Barfield to Massachusetts from South Georgia. We are kindred spirits!

Real Estate at auction is different than selling Bessy's tea cups. My mentor, Dick Dewees from MOAS gave me the vote of confidence I needed. In 1987 Dick said "Now there's a good man!"  Thanks Dick.

But that was then. Today, our world is certainly different and I will be the first to admit many auctions just are not the same. Be it as it may, from 1978 to 1998 I was cooking with gas. Today.... well, you decide!

COL. ROBERT L. POTVIN
Massachusetts License AU 2000
Box 11
West Brookfield, MA

PS.. My focus now is to grow in my writing craft and to become active as a motivational speaker.










No comments:

Post a Comment