Thursday, November 8, 2018

MY 100 MILE THURSDAY

It all started out "business as usual." My first goal was to get a prescription filled at the VA in Worcester. An un friendly receptionist said 'come back this afternoon!' My sixth sense gambled that my request was routine and I gambled. Voila "R..POT" appeared on the drugstore listing!

Next came a car wash and a fill-up at SHELL. Cheap gas.. good clean Honda.

Next to VETERANS, INC for some grub. Every other Thursday we are provided with some provisions. In 2 weeks the annual "Turkey Trot" will happen. Interested Veterans need to show up at Grove Street, Worcester on November 20. @ 10:00 AM.

Then I visited "Mr. Horology." My friend hosts an amazing collection of antique clocks, etc. We chatted for about an hour.

Next to The American Antiquarian Society. My librarian friend is in UTAH on vacation. Sorry.

Back to Brookfield and dirty laundry. This time I was greeted with a manilla envelope from Milton, MA. One Bob Smith provided me with a treasure chest of 1898 ads featuring North Brookfield. I poured over these as I did my wash & dry. Mr. Smith's note reads:

"Oh, to be living in North Brookfield in the 1890's.  All kinds of stores to shop in town, concerts, plays, phonograph parties, sleigh rides , Churches. Something was happening all over town."

"Of course there were regular deaths from scarlet fever, pneumonia, etc. vandalism, even a murder in Brookfield.. and the Irish and the French were under control of the Protestant "Yankees."

"Enjoy!'

 BOB SMITH

MR.SMITH COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER.


 
 
ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment