Monday, November 26, 2018

MY VIETNAM DIARY 1998

I arrived back in Vietnam on November 17, 1998. I had no idea on what to expect some 30 years later.

DEAR DIARY - DEAR GRAM ..

"1ST VIETNAM MORNING ..An early walk amongst the myriad of motorbikes and pollution opened my eyes. A boat ride on the Saigon River opened my heart to the Vietnamese people. Americans have a value system that is wacko. Poverty and strife is truly a virtue." Love, BOB.

 My nine days back to Vietnam was most revealing. I took at least four rolls of colored throw away films documenting the strife the Vietnamese endure. Most Americans will never know such a life.

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN


This young man, ANH, was my private tour guide for 8 days. He knows Ho Chi Minh City  like the back of his hand. Each morning at 7:00 AM Anh would meet me at my hotel. I got onto his cycle and he peddled me all around Saigon! I saw the War Remnants Museum. I could not have gotten a better tour guide in 1,000 years. I met his family of 3 kids and a wife and his sister. I visited friends of ANH and even met his mentor.  At the end of my visit to Vietnam Anh asked for "a $50 LOAN to buy a new Cycle" I GAVE HIM A $50 bill in appreciation for all he did to make my visit so meaningful. Today, I have no idea of his whereabouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment