Saturday, November 10, 2018

MY WINTER AT CAPE CANAVERAL

STS-95 was the code for John Glenn's return to space. When I heard Glenn was to return to space I contacted cousin Paul Kizzle in Florida. 'Kiz", a year older than me was a credentialed NASA photographer with some front page photos on the USA Today newspaper. My cousin got me credentials and I was on my way!

The thought, in itself, is mind boggling.  I learned much about the new ways of digital photography observing Paul and other "Space Photographers" in my days at The Cape. We traveled in distant locations staking landmarks where the cameras would be set for blast-off. The shutters on the cameras clicked when the noise level hit a certain pitch: CLICK!

Then the photographers traipsed in the mud recovering the cameras and unloading them on the AP wire. Photos were sent around the world instantaneously.

Being part of this great event was a highlight as I had been teaching the kids at WBES about the Space Shuttle. Kiz provided me with photos of Hubble and other missions.

Tonight on Nat-Geo I devoured the 2 hour special on the history of the Space Shuttle. As we go further in Space this Special was a great refresher course for me. Now, in my advancing years I delight in having had the Cape Canaveral experiences. I even bought a condo in Titusville, FL following the October 1998 launch. I had hoped to get a position in some capacity and didn't.

Having a sense of Space history gives me insights otherwise never to be understood. Thanks S'Paul.

ROBERT LOUIS POTVIN

No comments:

Post a Comment